C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the typical cost to have a business media blast parts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default What is the typical cost to have a business media blast parts?

I called a local business to inquire to their charge for media blasting some of my rear end parts. They said they charge a minimum of $35 or $50 per half hour. Is this considered a fair market rate? They don't use a blasting cabinet. They take the parts outside and blast in an unenclosed environment.

Last edited by Frankenvette; 03-23-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default "Free" for life at 2 of my friend's shops!

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
I called a local business to inquire to their charge for media blasting some of my rear end parts. They said they charge a minimum of $35 or $50 per half hour. Is this considered a fair market rate? They don't use a blasting cabinet. They take the parts outside and blast in an unenslosed environment.
My friend who owns a Corvette Repair Garage in Mountain View, CA has plenty of people "drop by" his shop for free bead blaster time but, when it comes time to get work done, about half the A*oles go to other businesses because "he charges too much". My buddy with the Automotive Machine shop also allows "free time" in his bead blaster when you do business with him, neither of the 2 guys will ever be millionares but, they are the BEST at their chosen fields of work.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:20 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

if it's small parts, i would just buy a small cabinet and do it yourself....see if you can borrow or rent a good compressor......

b
Old 03-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by onaqwst
if it's small parts, i would just buy a small cabinet and do it yourself....see if you can borrow or rent a good compressor......

b

I thought about this but...1) money is all tied up in rear end rebuild 2) I need to blast differential and crossmember which won't fit in small blast cabinet.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:50 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

35-50 isn't a bad labor rate. Especially when you consider the wear and tear on his equipment, electricity to run the compressor, and the cost of media. My business charges $100/hour for service work, many are higher (heating and cooling service)
Old 03-23-2005, 01:53 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't help you with the blasting as I'm overseas or you'd be welcome to come and use my cabinet. what I wanted to comment about is when you blast anything mechanical clean, clean, clean and again clean before reassembly, blasting media will go anywhere and will ruin any moving parts in no time if there's any left
Old 03-23-2005, 01:58 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I blasted a differential I have apart on Saturday night. It took a good 20 minutes to do but came out nice. I'm going to paint it with POR15 anyway so I didn't really need to blast it.
If you're not going to open it up I wouldn't blast it anyway- you'll get bead inside for sure and then you will be rebuilding it. Wire brush it, use the metal ready, black POR15, top coat it with a cast blast, and clear coat and you're done.
Gary
Old 03-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gtr1999
I blasted a differential I have apart on Saturday night. It took a good 20 minutes to do but came out nice. I'm going to paint it with POR15 anyway so I didn't really need to blast it.
If you're not going to open it up I wouldn't blast it anyway- you'll get bead inside for sure and then you will be rebuilding it. Wire brush it, use the metal ready, black POR15, top coat it with a cast blast, and clear coat and you're done.
Gary
Would it hurt to use engine degreaser assuming it will leak into the diff? I don't plan to rebuild it but will have to open it up to reinsert one of the side yokes. The c-clip was missing even though the tip of the yoke is still good with plent of material left. In doing so, I plan to replace the fluid anyway.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:12 PM
FLEXUSMARK
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had parts done several times at a local shop. He charges $90 Can per hour ($60 US). It may sound like a lot but it is a big sandblaster that they use outside and he gets alot done in a short time. I recently had these parts done and it cost me $40 CAN cash.

I have a small blast cabnet but it would have taken me like 10 hrs to get that much done with my compressor.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:53 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by Frankenvette
Would it hurt to use engine degreaser assuming it will leak into the diff? I don't plan to rebuild it but will have to open it up to reinsert one of the side yokes. The c-clip was missing even though the tip of the yoke is still good with plent of material left. In doing so, I plan to replace the fluid anyway.
How would you know if the yoke is still good until after it's re-installed? You should have no more then .050" of end play, new ones come very close to 0. As far as water inside, I would do it on a warm day and let the sun dry it out real good inside before assembly. You could also dry it out in your oven if your wife has a really good sense of humor.

Don't forget to get a bottle of the limited slip additive to add with the gear oil.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:57 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Ummm hummm...a buddy of mine worked at a shipyard, and you talk of sandblasting??? try what THEY do, in about a second all the parts of a dozen corvettes are blasted inside and out....

THAT's POWER.....it's nuckin futz to watch that in action....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To What is the typical cost to have a business media blast parts?

Quick Reply: What is the typical cost to have a business media blast parts?