C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake booster: Hydro boost or vacuum?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 12:19 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake booster: Hydro boost or vacuum?

Just got in from an evening cruise, and I have decided that the first mod to my new 69 will be power brakes. I feel very uneasy in the San Diego traffic with the manuals. I know that the calipers are good, as they are new SS, and the master cylender is new as well.

My question is, is the hydratec hydrobooster (~$550) really a better choice than an original vacuum booster (~$160)? The price difference says, "NO!" I am currently running the stock 350/300 hp engine, but I think even my 425hp 350 will produce enough vacuum for the standard booster.

Comments/suggestions?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:28 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 03-25-2005, 01:04 AM
matchframe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I would go with the HydraBoost. That way you can use any cam you want, and not worry about low vacuum. It does cost more, and is more involved on the install.

You might find a good hydrabooster in a salvage yard for a fraction of the cost. Look for one in a late model 1 ton GM truck. If you go that route, be sure to get the power steering pump as well because they produce more pressure to handle the steering as well as the booster.

Maybe you could get the vacuum booster for now, and if you decide later get the Hydraboost.

www.bigdogvettes.com
Old 03-25-2005, 01:22 AM
Jay M
Drifting

If I'm not mistaken, converting from manual to vacuume is not as simple as bolting on the booster. I think there is quite a bit of work to get it to fit.

The hydroboost kit is a direct bolt on. That doesn't mean it's an easy install, but it's not that hard. When I installed mine the engine was out of the car so it was pretty easy. It only took about 3 hours to bolt it in, carefully move the brake lines, run the hoses and take the driver seat out and climb in upside down like a monkey to attach the clevis pin!

I've had the Hydroboost kit now for over a year and I REALLY like it! It is very easy to modulate the brakes and the feel is very linear. It makes all but the best brakes in the world seem spongey.

As a bonus, the smaller size makes it easy if ou want to stuff huge valve covers in there.

~Jay
Old 03-25-2005, 03:05 AM
Graemeinvette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jay M
If I'm not mistaken, converting from manual to vacuume is not as simple as bolting on the booster. I think there is quite a bit of work to get it to fit.

The hydroboost kit is a direct bolt on. That doesn't mean it's an easy install, but it's not that hard. When I installed mine the engine was out of the car so it was pretty easy. It only took about 3 hours to bolt it in, carefully move the brake lines, run the hoses and take the driver seat out and climb in upside down like a monkey to attach the clevis pin!

I've had the Hydroboost kit now for over a year and I REALLY like it! It is very easy to modulate the brakes and the feel is very linear. It makes all but the best brakes in the world seem spongey.

As a bonus, the smaller size makes it easy if ou want to stuff huge valve covers in there.

~Jay

and did I say
Old 03-25-2005, 07:06 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I was going to go the vacuum route a few yeras ago and had all the pieces ready to install. It is not that easy as said above. The Hydroboost was a breeze to install and the brakes are way better than any vacuum system I have driven. The Hydroboost is the way to go.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:42 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a big fan of hydroboost. It is far stronger then any vacuum system. I went the wrecker route and including lines have less then $125 in a good unit from a 94 one ton truck.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:10 AM
corvettecris
Burning Brakes

So if I do go with a hydro, do I need to upgrade the PS pump? What type of pump should I go with?

Also, does anyone know if the gents at Hydratech offer discounts for forum/military members?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I am using the stock pump on mine with no problems at all. There was a group purchase a while ago but I think it expired. Contact Paul and see what he can do for you. Good guy to deal with.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:25 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I found the stock pump worked fine.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:25 PM
conway62
Pro

The Hydraboost breaking system is by far one of the best mods you can do to a vette. Even with everything new, the factory booster system doesnt come close in stopping power as compared to the Hydraboost.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake booster: Hydro boost or vacuum?

Quick Reply: Brake booster: Hydro boost or vacuum?