C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel bolts different?

Old 03-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Flywheel bolts different?

Can someone tell me the difference in automatic transmission (flexplate) bolts and manual transmission (flywheel) bolts? I seem to have some interference on my clutch plate springs with the bolt heads on the flywheel...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:32 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

anyone? Are the automatic flexplate bolts taller in the head of the bolt than Manual flywheel bolts? Seems to be the only possability of the springs on the new clutch disc touching them...
Old 03-28-2005, 06:01 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flywheel bolts and flexplate bolts both have thin heads. The difference is only the length. You shouldn't use the wrong ones - too long and they hit the back of the block, too short and they won't hold the flywheel. They should protrude just a tiny amount through the crankshaft flange.

If you are using the correct thin head bolts, the reason your clutch disk is hitting the bolts is it's on backwards. The springs go out towards the cover.

Hope this helps.
Joe
The following users liked this post:
Rescue Rogers (01-04-2023)
Old 03-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Joe...I have the thin head bolts on it...the clutch disc is marked and says "this side towards flywheel". The springs proturde out from the disc much lees on the flywheel side than on the pressure plate side but that small protrusion in the front seems to be just catching the heads of the bolts. The disc is on correctly and the flywheel is a brand new aluminum flywheel. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old 03-28-2005, 06:11 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Hmm, you ruled out my other idea, the flywheel has been surfaced too many times. If nobody else has any ideas you might have to go to the manufacturers for advice. Perhaps you should list the names here in case someone else has the same stuff. Sorry I can;t help. Joe
Old 03-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

the clutch is a 10.5" Zoom and this is the flywheel
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...964741965&rd=1
Old 03-28-2005, 07:15 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HI

When I changed the clutch and resurfaced the flywheel, I used new bolts ( ARP ). Those are different from the ones that where installed.
The old once where 6 point heads, the ARP are 12 point bigger diameter heads. The old bolts used washers, the ARP bolts had a danger note with them to not use any washers with them ?
This of course brings them further away from the clutch ( springs ).
Would that help ? I think I ordered from SUMMIT.

Günther
Old 03-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Engraver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some arp bolts for a new flywheel a couple weeks ago. The ones I bought were part number ARP-200-2802

There is something about two different head sizes that summit mentioned to me when I ordered these and that the larger ones could be too large in some applications. The ones I ordered are the larger head size (they take a larger socket). I didn't quite understand what these larger ones would interfere with since they go into a recessed area on the flywheel.

I'm not sure if this info is any help to the problem you are having.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:37 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Did you install washers with the ARP bolts ?
Without washers , as they mention to do , this bolts are very long and nearly touching the block casting.
I actually ground about 2 threads away of each bolt to assure clearance.
The ARP bolts have the exact same lenght as the old 6 point bolts had , but the old bolts had locking washers installed, so rather thick washers.

Günther
Old 03-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Engraver
Instructor

I didn't use washers... a small sheet that came with the arp bolts said not to. I did take a look at how far they were coming through. They were sticking out a little, but it appeared like a safe distance from the block.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

could I have a machine shop machine just the bolt suface down about 3/16" for the clearance I need? Would this compromise the flywheel strength?
Old 03-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jclgodale3
could I have a machine shop machine just the bolt suface down about 3/16" for the clearance I need? Would this compromise the flywheel strength?
That sounds extreme to me. Yes it would reduce the strength, and since it's aluminum and not steel then 3/16" could weaken it too much. If the clutch disk springs touch the flywheel then it's the wrong flywheel or the wrong disk. There should be a significant indent in the flywheel where the springs will sit. I believe the flywheel for the automatic tranny and the flywheel for the manual clutch are different...they could have shipped you the flywheel for an automatic by mistake.

You may want to contact Zoom and order a flywheel from them (if they sell them), or ask for some options that will work with their disk.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:06 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

but the springs aren't touching the flywheel...only catching the heads of the bolts. Thats why I thought a small machining then going without the washers on the bolts would create the clearance I need. Bad idea?
Old 09-05-2022, 09:12 PM
dmacp
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Jclgodale3
but the springs aren't touching the flywheel...only catching the heads of the bolts. Thats why I thought a small machining then going without the washers on the bolts would create the clearance I need. Bad idea?
ARP 200-2807 is made for a 1 piece rear main and is 1.0" long. ARP 330-2801 is standard SBC and is .875 long. the 1 inch long bolt will just contact my '70 350 block using a Speedmaster flywheel.
They are not real clear about this on Summit. Please beware!
Old 09-06-2022, 06:36 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

haven't heard anybody else mention this issue in the last 18 years...
Old 01-03-2023, 02:59 PM
dmacp
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by derekderek
haven't heard anybody else mention this issue in the last 18 years...
well, it just happened to me, it was a near painful experience, so I thought I might try and save someone else the trouble. If you know better, then please disregard
Old 01-04-2023, 08:31 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,250 Likes on 3,900 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

what is the clutch disc part number. They offer them with reversed springs so they would be on the wrong side in your application...its the only thing I can see causing your issues.Or you have a the wrong disc for your flywheel.
Old 01-14-2023, 12:12 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,320 Likes on 2,769 Posts

Originally Posted by dmacp
well, it just happened to me, it was a near painful experience, so I thought I might try and save someone else the trouble. If you know better, then please disregard
Unfortunately, adding a post to a thread thats been dead for 18 years might not get read. Its better if you start a new thread describing your experience, and you can link this thread from 2005 if you like.

Get notified of new replies

To Flywheel bolts different?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Flywheel bolts different?