C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS feels like armstrong steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:08 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PS feels like armstrong steering

First, I'm glad to see the split.
My ps has been getting getting worse and is to point of almost feeling as hard as manual steering. I do have ps fluid up to level, no leeks, tight belt, new cylinder, idler arm and tie rods, rag joint looks ok. This leaves the gear box, pump (mine does not sqeel) and control valve. How do I tell which component is the problem? Or, am I overlooking something?
Old 03-31-2005, 10:16 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like the pump is not developing enough pressure. I had to replace my 79 pump a year ago. You might contact Van Steel their a supporting vendors and while they don't advertise it they do rebuild pumps. If you get one from your local auto parts store be sure the return line is the same position as yours it is a PITA if you send yours in and then find out the drain is in a different location. You may want to get a rebuilt pump without the tank and switch yours over. Good luck.
Bob
Old 03-31-2005, 10:23 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

The steering boxes are the same for PS and non PS. I doubt that's your problem unless the lash was recently adjusted. Most worn out boxes are too loose vs too tight. I would look at the pump and valve. That's all there is to the system. Are you getting foam in the fluid?

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To PS feels like armstrong steering

Quick Reply: PS feels like armstrong steering