C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 does not shift @ WOT

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 11:41 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 219 Posts

Default TH400 does not shift @ WOT

The past few times I have 'gotten on' my '73 L82 the auto trans will not shift into third gear. Yesterday I looked at the tach and it was registering 5800 rpm and it was still in second gear, slowed down to about 3000 rpm and it shifted into third. Normally around town the shifting point is about 3000 rpm. So why won't the transmission shift at WOT or close to it?
Roger
Old 04-11-2005, 11:43 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Probably the vacuum modulator on the trans. But this will cause other anomalies like a hard shifts too. If not the modulator (the easiest thing to check and replace) it's probably a sticking or broken governor.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:33 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
Probably the vacuum modulator on the trans. But this will cause other anomalies like a hard shifts too. If not the modulator (the easiest thing to check and replace) it's probably a sticking or broken governor.
I bet you're right on the governor....the plastic gear strips on those. I think if the modulator was bad, he would still get a 1-2 shift even if late.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:36 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully its one of the above listed problems, but if not, mine in my truck did same every time I stepped on it and it down-shifted from third to second, it wouldn't shift back up, it was my valve body spool sticking at the end of the bore and holding it in second. Although I tried to repair it a couple times, I ended up replacing the valve body.

Good luck,

Loren
Old 04-12-2005, 10:16 AM
Fubba
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll tell you right now what I think it is. The same thing happened to me on my '71. It's the vacuum hose going to the modulator on the transmission. If it's the original hose, it's probably in really bad shape like mine was. It's most likely broken on the end allowing it to let some vacuum out which would cause it not to shift correctly. Check the hose. If not the hose, then it's the modulator itself.

Get notified of new replies

To TH400 does not shift @ WOT

Quick Reply: TH400 does not shift @ WOT