C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valave cover gaskets - sugestion

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
vtech
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Valave cover gaskets - sugestion

I decided to put back on my original value covers. I know their are different valve cover gaskets on the market - cork, extra thick cork, rubber and rubber with a metal band adheared to it. I purchased a rubber set of gaskets thinking they are the best. After installing my passenger side sealed fine but my drivers side leaks. Tried to reinstall the rubber gasket but same problem.

I am going to buy another set to try on the drivers side valve cover. What do you guys like better - cork or rubber any suggestions.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:26 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cork with a steel core. Not cheap, but very effective
Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 PM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which valve covers are you using? Steel or aluminum? If they're stamped steel, you may have a warped cover, causing your leak.

I'm switching to Aluminum (LT-1) valve covers, and am having a hard time finding a gasket that will fit.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:29 PM
stingry
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Ted,

On the steel covers I used the cork gasket that came from the engine builder (Fel-Pro) and had no problems with leaks.

Jeff,

For the LT1 covers I bought a Fel-Pro rubber gasket.

On both the cork and rubber gaskets you need to trim off two of the bolt hole areas so they fit properly in the gasket cover. I believe the gaskets are universal for new and older SBs so you need to turn the valve cover upside down and see if the gasket sits flat in the valve cover. From memory it won't unless you take razer blade and cutoff a couple of areas of the gasket.

Good Luck guys.

Pete
Old 04-12-2005, 10:11 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Originally Posted by stingry
For the LT1 covers I bought a Fel-Pro rubber gasket.

On both the cork and rubber gaskets you need to trim off two of the bolt hole areas so they fit properly in the gasket cover. I believe the gaskets are universal for new and older SBs so you need to turn the valve cover upside down and see if the gasket sits flat in the valve cover. From memory it won't unless you take razer blade and cutoff a couple of areas of the gasket.
I started to do just that with the cork Fel-Pro gaskets that came in the rebuild kit. It just looks too thin after cutting the extra hole.

I got the Victor gaskets with the steel in the middle, and just 4 holes, but they're a little too small to fit. I am picking up another set of Fel-Pro today.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:34 AM
flood
Race Director

Doesn't fel-pro make a permadry gasket for valve covers? If so that would be the way to go. Made of neopreme
Old 04-12-2005, 10:38 AM
PortDawg
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I've got Fel-Pro perma dries in my SB... Love 'em !

Dawg
Old 04-12-2005, 11:26 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 522 Likes on 352 Posts

Mr Gasket Ultra Seals.

They are cork with a coating that does not stick so they can be reused. Also very cheap so easy to replace yearly or so. Hand tight then retighten once after first heat cycle and they don't leak.

I also use ARP studs which makes installation very easy. BTW, I have Billet Specialties aluminum valve covers.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:55 AM
flood
Race Director

Originally Posted by PortDawg
I've got Fel-Pro perma dries in my SB... Love 'em !

Dawg
I would suggest these. I knew they made them but I haven't gotten a set yet. A mechanic friend of mine swears by them. Can be re-used and from what I was told you can't over tighten them.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:47 AM
JJ Deuce
Race Director

Found a set that fits perfect - Fel-Pro #1604. Cork with a steel insert, and only 4 holes.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Fevre
Race Director

As a suggestion I like to bond them to the valve covers so when you take the covers off the gasket stay with them, I have used RTV and super tack, RTV is a little easier to get off the valve cover when/if you have to replace the gaskets.

Get notified of new replies

To Valave cover gaskets - sugestion

Quick Reply: Valave cover gaskets - sugestion