C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I supposed to have 2 Fuel Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 01:23 AM
mike229
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Am I supposed to have 2 Fuel Filters?

71 BB with QJet

Theres a filter in the Q Jet, and then theres an inline filter about 6 inches away - is that normal?? Do I need the inline?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:50 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inline probably flows better, I'd take the one out of the carb. That's what I did.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:49 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

pretty sure the 71 didn't come stock with an inline fuel filter. In 68 and 69 there was an inline filter that also had an outlet for the fuel return line. Starting in 1970 the fuel return line came off the fuel pump and there was no inline fuel filter used, only the little filter in the carb. The unanswered question is why GM decided extra fuel filtering was not needed.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:54 AM
renssaw
Cruising

My 68 has not only the carb fuel filter, and an inline near it , but there is also an inline filter near the fuel tank, up in back of the license plate area.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:44 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schmucker
Inline probably flows better, I'd take the one out of the carb. That's what I did.

No need for both.... In-line is usually better... and makes carb filter (which usually plug up faster) obsolete.

On the other hand... if both are clean and problem free.... shouldn't really HURT anything. Just 1 more fuel restriction and 1 more place to check when trouble-shooting fuel problems.

I did same to my 65 Impala SS 396..... left an in-line filter, and pulled the stone filter from the carb...... worked and still works fine.

Loren

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Am I supposed to have 2 Fuel Filters?

Quick Reply: Am I supposed to have 2 Fuel Filters?