C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP-Problem Installing Adjustable Strut Rods

Old 04-16-2005, 11:53 AM
72-LT1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP-Problem Installing Adjustable Strut Rods

I am trying to install my adjustible strut rods, and it seems like I might need to gring down a little of the guide stops that stop the strut from moving in the spindle support.

I got the drivers side in but the passinger side will not move up enough for the shock mount to go through, I have even buggered up the top of the strut rod a little trying to get it to move up and allign so the shock mount will go through.

Has anyone else had this problem,

Thanks

Last edited by 72-LT1; 04-16-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:08 PM
72-LT1
Pro

I know I read a thread somwhere about this before, no ideas anyone? The search feature dosen't show anything
Old 04-16-2005, 02:42 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I understand your problem correctly, I didn't have that problem with mine. Are you installing them with weight on the suspension? Like on ramps? If so, use jackstands instead and let the suspension hang. Also, did you unbolt the rear spring? I tried to shortcut the job my not releasing the spring tension and it didn't work.

Once the spring tension is released you can jack up the trailing arm and stick a 1/2" or 9/16" socket under the trailing on the frame (Van Steel trick) and let the T-arm hang on the socket. That should get the shock mount aligned with the strut rod so you can get it reinstalled. Don't forget to jack the arm back up and pull the socket, then you can reinstall the spriing.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:30 PM
72-LT1
Pro

Got it in, just hit the flat end of shock mount with grinder and ramped it through with a bfh.

The spring is not on yet, everyone said the other day to install 1/2 shafts and strut rods before spring, which I also hope helps the spring bushings and bolt to line up better. Thanks isosceles.

I still thought I saw something about these struts binding, it seems tight. Or was it the smart struts?

Last edited by 72-LT1; 04-16-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP-Problem Installing Adjustable Strut Rods

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP-Problem Installing Adjustable Strut Rods