C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems w/ Stahl SBC headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 05:06 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Problems w/ Stahl SBC headers?

Has anyone had any experience with Stahl small block headers?

I purchased a set of side exhaust (to be used with side pipe covers) from Stahl for my 69. One side fit perfect, but the other side is way too low, almost 2" too low at the end of the header collector. The Hooker Super Comps that are being replaced fit perfect right out of the box.

We sent the one header back to Stahl's and finally got an answer from him, which was "nothing wrong with the header, must be your frame or motor mounts". When asked if he would modify the one side, he said no.

It bothers me because I know the history of this car and it has never been in an accident. And like I said previously, the Hookers fit perfect. I paid a lot of money for these headers and have basically now been blown off. Now I will have to pay someone to modify these "custom" headers.

I know there are a couple of guys on this board running Stahl's big block headers and they have said nothing but good things about his product.

Thanks, Eric.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:24 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I would expect that they would at least off you your money back. Have you mounted (or held) the two headers flange to flange to check to see where they end? It should be the same if the headers are symmetrical. Are the Hookers symmetrical? I'll be intrested to see what others have to say. Good Luck!
Old 04-20-2005, 05:48 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have dealt with those guys and think that on the most part their quality is great. Thier customer service manners though leave a little to be desired. I tried getting answers on a special application and finally gave up. Good luck on your problem......I know the frustration of getting improperly made parts that just don't fit.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:49 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

"Jere Stahl" the main reason I will NOT deal with them!! the guy is a dinosaur, it`s his way or the highway...second reason, I just got a set built on my car (NOT his jig) for the SAME MONEY (honestly a little less) .....BUILT THE WAY I WANT not the way Mr. Stahl wants... 3- steps and all tubes within 1-1/2" of each other (compared to 4-6" difference from Stahl)........................
...redvetracr
Old 04-20-2005, 05:54 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you paid for them by credit card send them back and contact your card company to dispute the cost of the item if they will not help you get things right.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:36 PM
EricU
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
"Jere Stahl" the main reason I will NOT deal with them!! the guy is a dinosaur, it`s his way or the highway...second reason, I just got a set built on my car (NOT his jig) for the SAME MONEY (honestly a little less) .....BUILT THE WAY I WANT not the way Mr. Stahl wants... 3- steps and all tubes within 1-1/2" of each other (compared to 4-6" difference from Stahl)........................
...redvetracr

I have to admit, I was a little surprised with his response. These things were not cheap by any means and I have to mod them? It seems ridiculous that he wont even entertain the idea that his “jig” might be off. I paid this guy up front, guess that is what I get having faith in people.

And he definitely does have a “Oh you must have screwed something up” attitude. The frame has been checked at my friend’s shop, before we did any of the suspension mods.

When I get the headers back, I will bolt up the flanges and then do the same to the Hookers. Now I can’t wait until I get the headers back from them and I will take pictures.

RedVetracr, Who did you headers?

Thanks, Eric.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:57 PM
ENCHANTMENT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Eric,

Sounds similar to my experience with Jere.

About three years ago ordered a set of SBC side pipe headers and when I put them on, both sides were 2" too high, so that the doors wouldn't open. Called Jere and he said that it was my car and not his headers since he had been building headers for 30 years. He then went on to explain that those headers were for racing cars and not street use. He would shorten them for $200. plus shipping both ways and then told me that they would hit the ground and he would not be responsible for them and would not fix them again. I paid the amount requested, waited a month and they fit perfectly. I don't have a kind word to say about him. In all my conversations with him he came across as a complete obstinate SOB.

Good Luck!

Ken
Old 04-20-2005, 10:40 PM
b71vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Redvetracr I was considering Stahl's

for sidepipe headers, but after reading this thread, no way will I pay that much money and get treated like that.

Redvetracr - where did you have your custom sidepipe headers built,

Are they for Small Block? which heads are you using ? Hopefully AFR cause that's what I have.

do they fit underneath the factory 69 exhaust covers?

What size are the mufflers?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:28 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by b71vette

Redvetracr - where did you have your custom sidepipe headers built,

Are they for Small Block? which heads are you using ? Hopefully AFR cause that's what I have.

do they fit underneath the factory 69 exhaust covers?

What size are the mufflers?

Wisconsin
"AFR" your kidding right??
NO, what are factory covers
What are Mufflers??

I guess you missed the part about my car being a race car.....BUT I am happy to remind you.....
Old 04-21-2005, 05:51 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

I have to retract my statement about my custom headers being equal in price to Stahls.....Mine were considerably more (as I picked up the car and finished headers today) BUT the quality and fit MORE than make up for the added cost....
....redvetracr
Old 04-27-2005, 01:06 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I just sent them an email asking about the headers and sidepipes that I was considering...... thank god I did a search on this forum as well.... I guess their response will be deleted unread....

Thank you all for sharing your experience.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems w/ Stahl SBC headers?

Quick Reply: Problems w/ Stahl SBC headers?