C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti Sway Bar end links- How tight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:54 AM
IRON WILL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti Sway Bar end links- How tight?

How much are you supposed to tighten the anti sawy bar end links? I just install a grand touring suspension package and I can't find out how tight they are supposed to be. Someone told me till the nut bottoms at the end of the threads on the bolt. Any help would be great, Thanks.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:00 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I believe I tightened mine until the bushings were slightly compressed. I have seen them smashed and don't believe this to be of any benefit.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:00 AM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

For rubber bushings, you tighten until the rubber squeezes out to the same diameter as the washers.

For urethane, I have no idea, maybe someone else here will.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

The sway bar should be 90 degrees off the link and the link should be 90 degrees off the a-arm with the suspension on the ground. I think this is the way to set it up.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:47 AM
IRON WILL
Instructor

90 degrees is not possible in the rear with the supplied hardware. the front is close to that. No matter which way the rear sway bar is in it is still at an angle about 45 degrees maybe less if your looking at it from the wheel well. I have it installed properly as far as I know.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON WILL
How much are you supposed to tighten the anti sawy bar end links? I just install a grand touring suspension package and I can't find out how tight they are supposed to be. Someone told me till the nut bottoms at the end of the threads on the bolt. Any help would be great, Thanks.

If they are the spring end links i left about 1/16th between coils. That way it gives a wheel 3/4 - 1 inch verticle movement before the sway bar comes into play
Old 04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
IRON WILL
Instructor

the links (and bushings) I am refering to attach the anti sway bar to the lower a-arm or to the rear trailing arm.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:16 PM
JPhil
Burning Brakes

From my talk with VBP a couple months ago, "it depends." If you want a firmer, tighter action on the bar, you tighten up the bushings to reduce the give in them, and vice versa. You don't want to crush them but you can go from really squashed for a more solid connection / action between the wheels, to loosely tightened for a softer, more individual, less immediate connection /action. The bushings take up the smaller, more immedate movement of the wheel before transmitting the torque moment to the bar and across the car to the other wheel.

John
Old 04-27-2005, 02:37 PM
JPhil
Burning Brakes

Woops, thought of some more. You can thus use this to balance your sway bars to a degree. Find a big clear parking lot, turn the steering wheel and start accelerating. Which ever end of the car loses traction first has the weaker bar. So if the front end washes out first, tighten up those links. Try it again, and if same results, loosen the rear links. And vice versa. This is only for a small degree of adjustment, of course. And if perchance you got the dual-mount rear spring, you do not want the rear bar at all because the action ( or more precisely, the reaction) due to dual mounts versus a single center mount makes the spring itself act as a sway bar.
At this point I must also say I am by no means a professional on this subject, I just try to do research and talk with (hopefully) competent people whose opinions I trust.
John

Last edited by JPhil; 04-27-2005 at 02:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anti Sway Bar end links- How tight?

Quick Reply: Anti Sway Bar end links- How tight?