C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Topline heads, anybody using them?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:47 PM
BrandonS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro Topline heads, anybody using them?

After a lengthy and sometimes off subject discussion in another thread i've decided to pony up and get some larger heads. Right now i've got dart iron eagle S/S, with 72cc combustion chambers and 165cc intake runners. I'm looking at the pro topline 200cc heads with 64cc chambers. Compared to similar darts, the chambers are slightly smaller, and the price is around 200-250 less for a set of assembled heads. That, and they are essentially vortecs, or so I understand, and vortecs (again, i i remember correctly), are flow like crazy to start off with. Any thoughts on this one?

Edit: the particular heads i'm looking at are the prolightning series

Last edited by BrandonS; 04-30-2005 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:00 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I have those heads for a 400 I'm putting together right now. 200cc with 64cc chambers. They look like very nice heads. I'm disassembling them to remove some of the casting flash on the internals. Personally, I don't know why they don't get more attention, because I did alot of research before I got mine and you you can't beat them for the money. There is another guy on the forum that has them on a 400 with a Whipple supercharger and he seems to like them. Where did you get the idea that they are essentially Vortecs? I'm not saying they aren't similar, but I've never heard that comparison before.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:02 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last I heard they were out of business
Old 04-30-2005, 01:10 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

They are based in New Zeeland and they have their own foundry. They did go out of business but have now been bought by Holley (I think) and will be marketed under the old RHS name. They will stay in NZ with the same people so hopefully they will maintain te quality/performance.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 79VetteMike
I have those heads for a 400 I'm putting together right now. 200cc with 64cc chambers. They look like very nice heads. I'm disassembling them to remove some of the casting flash on the internals. Personally, I don't know why they don't get more attention, because I did alot of research before I got mine and you you can't beat them for the money. There is another guy on the forum that has them on a 400 with a Whipple supercharger and he seems to like them. Where did you get the idea that they are essentially Vortecs? I'm not saying they aren't similar, but I've never heard that comparison before.
Yes, I've got them on my 406, but their configuration is standard, not Vortec. My engine builder recommended them for the price/performance...they are popular with sprint & circle track racers.

Their web site is still up - I heard someone big like Holley was interested in them.

These are the ones I have - max street configuration - 220cc intakes w/64cc chambers. There are also some small but enjoyable peripheral benefits - you can use old or new style valve covers, and there is not the usual potential for cover leakage since the land area for the covers is built up compared to stock heads.
http://www.protopline.com/123400020a.htm
Old 04-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Jack71
Drifting

I have them on my 406 with no complaints. I did have a problem with the acc brackets stripping out, but that was my fault -- not used to that soft stuff.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:48 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Pro-Topline Heads

They did go "belly-up" awhile back, however Comp Cams bought the foundry in Auckland, N.Z. They are going to bring the line back but we don't exactly when. We are a W.D. for Comp and I've used the heads when we could get them. You wouldn't believe how good they were, we were able to take set out of the box on a "pump-gas" mid-sized BBC and produce over 730Hp @ 6200 RPM and over 700# Torque @ 4600 RPM. We still try to get our hands on the ones still out there. Comp is going to bring them back under the old RHS (Racing Head Service) which they owned years ago. As long as they don't change the castings (you know, new owners, new ideas) it'll be one of the best "out of the box" we've worked on. Using a 320 cc runner, 375 CFM Int. @ .700 lift and 275 CFM Exh. @ .700 also. From the box this is super. Our next choice is Brodix, also excellent. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a set of aluminum 180cc 64cc for a small block collecting dust in the basement. Used them on my 77 for about 1K miles last year before removing...and selling the car as original. Ran a custom ground 490 lift cam, Holly 750, Edelbrock EPS with them and they were GREAT!! Idel to 4K in a heartbeat!!!
All accessories bolted right up. Used em right out of the box with their stage 1 valve kit. (500lift max) I have nothing but good to say about them....in fact, I'm going to use them on my current 72 after rebuilding the motor next fall. I saved all the flow charts and tech info on them....if your interested, I can copy and send it off to you if ya want. They were the closest in flow to AFR I could find. Cheaper too!!
Eddie

Last edited by Silvr77; 04-30-2005 at 06:39 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Pro Topline heads, anybody using them?

Quick Reply: Pro Topline heads, anybody using them?