C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 08:33 AM
rjag
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel

1974 Stingray

Knowing all of the electrical problems that can occur I was wondering what would be the best way to install an auxiliary power fuse panel (circuit breaker box) so as to not interfere with the vettes original fuse panel. I will be installing fog lights, a 200W amp, an alarm, and extra interior lights in the back and under the front dash. Should I install the box in the back near the battery? In the engine compartment? and where should I run the wires? (down the middle? along the side? or under the car?) What is the best fuse panel box to buy? Can I make my own? Should I use the ATC Blade Type fuse box? I have seen the Wiring Cirkit Boss 7-Position breaker panel on the net and it looks like a good product, but are there any alternatives?
Thanks in advance
Rob's '74
Old 05-07-2005, 10:09 AM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds like a good idea. I'd keep it as close to the battery as I can, maybe inside the center compartment. Run the wires under the console to the dash where most of your listed circuits live. Circuit breakers are easier to reset, but a lot bulkier than little fuses. I'd choose fuses. Painless Wiring makes nice little panels for custom wiring jobs. Joe
Old 05-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Painless Wiring makes a variety of aux fuse panels.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:25 PM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

I made a aux fuse panel/relay panel for my headlights, aux fan, horns, and a/c compressor. I mounted it in the center behind and attached to the front bumper brace in the nose of the car. It's totally invisable there even with the hood raised.

I also re-routed my headlight vacuum lines behind it--so now when you look at the headlight area, it's wide open with not a hose or wire in sight.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:54 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
St. Jude Donor '05

I picked up a 5 circuit aux panel from a Crown Victoria Partol Car that I totaled a couple of years ago. I also saw one on E-bay for sale the other day for less than $10.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:59 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am using the Painless 7 circuit fuse box to run my engine harness, electric fans, and fuel pump. I have it in the engine bay mounted on the inner fender near where I mounted the PCM. The fuse box is relay and breaker controled. For the main power I tapped off the alternator and for the relay I used a female spade connector and attached it to the main fuse panel in the IGN slot.

Get notified of new replies

To Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel

Quick Reply: Auxiliary Power Fuse Panel