C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nascar mechanical fuel pumps ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 10:14 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Nascar mechanical fuel pumps ?

Just saw something about the Nextel cars running mechanical fuel pumps in the stock location. It looked like a ordinary fuel pump. Anyone know who makes them ?

I guess another question would be is : If they make a mechanical fuel pump that can stand up to the rigors of that kind of racing with 800HP motors why does anyone need an electric pump for a 500HP street/strip motor ?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:31 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Those are most likely made by Holley or Barry Grant or someone like them. I am sure they are far from "stock" but they do mount in the stock location.

And yeah, they last 500 hard pounding miles, but then I am sure they get rebuilt or tossed in the trash.

I want one that will last 100,500 miles without worrying about it.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:52 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually there isn't any need for electric fuel pumps, mechanicals work just fine. No need for fuel injection either, carburetor(s) work just fine. No need for fancy ignition systems either, HEI's work just fine.....and the list goes on........................
Old 05-15-2005, 12:00 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

I think I heard Holley, I was always under the impression mechanical pumps were good to certain point then you had to go to electric pumps but these pumps work fine to 10,000RPM on 800HP motors. I have always thought mechanical pumps were adeqaute for the street and this kinda backs up what I thought.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:06 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Just saw something about the Nextel cars running mechanical fuel pumps in the stock location. It looked like a ordinary fuel pump. Anyone know who makes them ?

I guess another question would be is : If they make a mechanical fuel pump that can stand up to the rigors of that kind of racing with 800HP motors why does anyone need an electric pump for a 500HP street/strip motor ?
I saw that too. But if I remember right, NASCAR mandated that the new mechanical fuel pumps be relocated to the back of the car because front end impacts were causing too much leakage and fires. So the mechanical pump has been relocated to the back of the car. Electric pumps are forbidden in NASCAR for safety reasons. I'm guessing Holley probably made the pumps that were mounted to the front of the engine.

Older Than Dirt: No need for HEI....points work just fine.

Dep
Old 05-15-2005, 07:38 AM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

i was interested in the other one that they had shown. the one that is driven off the rear oil pump. My only question is: Wouldn't they have a problem with the car stalling if the car was running and not moving???
Old 05-15-2005, 07:55 AM
comp
Team Owner

there is a pressure reg. with a by-pass... the cable to drive the pump come's off the dry-sump pump on the "left" side of the engine, doesn't hit the wall as often
Old 05-15-2005, 11:26 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by DJ Dep
. But if I remember right, NASCAR mandated that the new mechanical fuel pumps be relocated to the back of the car Dep

not to be a stickler here but what drives a mechanical pump on the rear of the car?
Old 05-15-2005, 11:32 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

stickler: See Aflac's post "the one that is driven off the rear oil pump."
The new one is gear-driven off the oil pump. No idea what drives the oil pump.

Dep
Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil pump is driven by a belt. The Nascar motors are pure race motors with dry sump lubrication system. I think they have two oil pumps on a common shaft, one is the pressure pump to lubricate the engine and the other is a scavenge pump to take the oil out of the pan and put it back in the oil tank. The cable to drive the fuel pump is hooked up to the back of the oil pump drive shaft. Electric fuel pumps are banned because in a crash an electric pump could stay on feeding gasoline to a fire. By the way, the new pumps are not mandated, yet. Nascar allows teams to build their cars with the cable driven fuel pump if they chose, but they can still run the old style pump driven off the side of the engine from the cam if they want to instead.

Last edited by Russ Bellinis; 05-15-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:58 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by BSeery

And yeah, they last 500 hard pounding miles, but then I am sure they get rebuilt or tossed in the trash.
they go on ebay where most used up "cup" stuff winds up. Just do a search on "Nascar fuel pump" and you will figure out who builds them or just call CV products BUT hold on!!
...redvetracr
Old 05-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Also don't the oil pump's run off the rearend not the motor so the mechanical cable driven fuel pump really isn't that long of a cable...
Old 05-15-2005, 12:12 PM
Russ Bellinis
Racer

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
Also don't the oil pump's run off the rearend not the motor so the mechanical cable driven fuel pump really isn't that long of a cable...
How long would an engine live when first started without oil pressure until the cars roll off if the oil pump was run off the rear end?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CV products makes the mech. nascar pumps
Old 05-15-2005, 01:18 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

NASCAR uses 5 and 6 stage pumps (I have a 4 stage in my car). The pump on the pinion is for a rear end and if two stage for the trans cooler as well.
...redvetracr
Old 05-15-2005, 02:48 PM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by turtlevette
not to be a stickler here but what drives a mechanical pump on the rear of the car?
a cable, like a HD speedo cable
Old 05-15-2005, 02:48 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Here's the details on how the NASCAR rear-mounted fuel pump works:

http://insiderracingnews.com/info35.html

Dep

Get notified of new replies

To Nascar mechanical fuel pumps ?

Old 05-15-2005, 03:46 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Yes the stock location Nascar pumps are a problem because when you hit the wall they get damaged rather easily due to their location.

My point in posting this was the perception ( on my part only ? ) that mechanical pumps fell short once you reach a certain HP but this looks like it is not the case. I know these Nascar pumps are expensive because they are billet aluminum but you could make one exaclty the same out of cheaper materials that would flow good enough for any street/strip hot rod. Now the only advantage for electric would be less HP drag on the motor but an electric setup costs much more that a mechanical pump
Old 05-15-2005, 05:03 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Yes the stock location Nascar pumps are a problem because when you hit the wall they get damaged rather easily due to their location.

My point in posting this was the perception ( on my part only ? ) that mechanical pumps fell short once you reach a certain HP but this looks like it is not the case. I know these Nascar pumps are expensive because they are billet aluminum but you could make one exaclty the same out of cheaper materials that would flow good enough for any street/strip hot rod. Now the only advantage for electric would be less HP drag on the motor but an electric setup costs much more that a mechanical pump
Have you priced the NASCAR pumps? They will blow you away. It's more than just the construction of the body. They are 100% rebuildable. I think the current mechanical pump from Holley and Carter are probably adequate for any street machine except for the extremely radical ones running 2-4bbl setups or a Dominator.

Dep
Old 05-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

They dont use electric fuel pumps becuase when you get in a crash you dont want the the fuel to keep running and feeding the fire.

Quick Reply: Nascar mechanical fuel pumps ?