C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cams, High Energy 268

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:42 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comp Cams, High Energy 268

Anyone run this cam without having problems with the stock converter.
Its RPM range is 1500 to 5500, and sez you dont need a stall to run this cam.. Would this cam be ok with stock 82 heads with a gasket port match???
Old 05-17-2005, 08:45 PM
ltlevil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran one in an '81 Z-28 with no trouble. A little heavier than our cars but I don't see any trouble running this cam, actually with the car a little lighter I think the cam would appear a tad more aggressive. Not much-but a little.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:36 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

No problem. I got it cheap but a XE260 would probably be a better choice. Some similar numbers but a more modern grind.

-Chris
Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 AM
71Sunflower
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
No problem. I got it cheap but a XE260 would probably be a better choice. Some similar numbers but a more modern grind.

-Chris
Chris:

The H cams are symmetrical grinds and are therefore a bit more traditional than the XE line. I think "modern" things are good, but sometimes I feel that they are mainly good for the company that sells them, so they can get you to ditch your perfectly good old item and replace it with a "modern" one.

Why wouldn't you want to stay with something that fits the vintage of your car? I have had and still have H grind cams in a couple of cars (260 and a 280) and they both are great. It may be me, but I imagined that the idle on the 280H is more raw / classic muscle than the XE stuff I have experienced on other folks rides.

If you want to keep discussing this, you should list the exact specs of both cams, and I am sure that you will be hard pressed to see much of a difference, even in the specs. You basically said this yourself. Also, in my opinion performance will be so similar that your seat of the pants dyno won't notice a difference...

It is a no brainer. You have this cam already and it fits the vintage of your car 100%, put it in!
George
Old 05-18-2005, 08:14 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i'm running an xe268 in my new engine i did the tranny swap at the same time. the 1400 rpm stall speed was a problem and went to a 2500 stall speed torque converter and it is working well.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:52 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I ran the 268H for years in my stock 350 with the stock tranny and converter. No problem with the converter.Top rpm was around 5500.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:07 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
I ran the 268H for years in my stock 350 with the stock tranny and converter. No problem with the converter.Top rpm was around 5500.

Sorry, I should have noted, I have a 700R-4
Old 05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

I have been running this cam for several years now. I have a manual transmission, so I can't help with the torque converter question, but the cam is working well for me with the stock heads.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:41 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The "H" should be OK, but the XE (PowerMax by Crane, and others)
has asymmetric grind to help compensate for the small exhaust valve.
It's not about 'vintage' - so much as fixing the inadequecies
of a symmetric grind and unequal valve sizes.

With all the work you are doing ... I'd think you want a "modern" grind.

Old 05-18-2005, 02:21 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NHvette

With all the work you are doing ... I'd think you want a "modern" grind.

Like what???? help me out here

i know diddly about cams
I have the weiand stealth manifold with a holley 750

I was also thinking of the VOODOO line up

Last edited by MEGLADON; 05-18-2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

270H cam here. 1800 stall converter feels stock. Very tight. No problems with idle here. In drive sounds like glug-glug-glug. In park or neutral, slightly rumpity-rumpity, but it doesn't shake the car like my 383.

Last edited by isosceles; 05-18-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:42 AM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't respond to the converter question, but I agree with those who support the "H" series line...I'm using a 270H in a 69 and a 280H in another...love them both. Do a seach on camaros.net (I did) and you'll learn of valve train noise and problems with the XE line. It's thought the ramps are too steep for flat tap cams.

Good luck,
Wes
Old 05-19-2005, 09:55 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MEGLADON
Like what???? help me out here

i know diddly about cams
I have the weiand stealth manifold with a holley 750

I was also thinking of the VOODOO line up
I'm a cam-diddly person, too.
New grinds are "assymetric" between the intake and exhaust.
From what I understand, leave exhaust valve open longer to help
overcome the small valve size.

Here is the cam I was considering when I finally bump up the compression:

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tNumber=113802

Here is their latest line ... http://www.cranecams.com/?show=promo...7964d5cfc38e25

This one looks like a nice street/performance candidate:
http://www.cranecams.com/?show=brows...tType=camshaft

There was a formula in a recent post ... to determine if the lobe ramp
is too aggresive and prone to wiping. The XE line eclipsed the threshold,
where the Crane Powermax was close - but still considered safe. I'm not
sure about the new Zcam series.

Last edited by NHvette; 05-19-2005 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:58 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

The cam should be good choice. It should somewhat similiar to the L-82 specs. It takes some restraint when picking cams. Since cams in the same category typically cost the same, some people will decide they'll go up a couple of notches. The XE series should make a little more power. Partly because they designed the cam for better exhaust flow, but I also think the ramps are a little more aggressive. There have been some failures on these XE cams, which get posted here. Some of that could be from improper installation and some of attributed to the manufacuter pushing the envelope of the ramp.
I don't think you'll have to change the conveter. The duration is not that long. What happens with long duration camshafts is that they also need to idle at higher rpms. In an automatic, that means idle while in gear, not just in nuetral or park. A higher stall speed while idleing in gear will better at 900 rpms then a lower stall speed converter. What that does is allow the engine to idle at a lower rpm when in neutral/park. The car will not have the 500rpm drop while going from neutral to drive or reverse.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:48 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

i'm running the XE268 and i don't buy the poor design talk.... i have seen only one post where someone wiped a lobe, everything else is second hand talk....as i have said before. a cam swap is easy to do and cheap...it becomes more expensive to do it correctly with correct springs, new lifters and to break it in correctly...i suspect most issues with these come from half *** installations and people mis matching components....Lars said he has an XE series cam that he has been trying to kill and has not been able to...
Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
i'm running the XE268 and i don't buy the poor design talk.
Who said the XE was a poor design? They probably knew there would be additional failures by increasing the ramps to give more area under the lobe. I would assume they designed them as best as they could. If best engineering pratices say a certain ramp number should not be exceeded for maximum longevity, it's a calculated risk the manufacture takes on. Their bottom line may be better by increasing sales and replacing a few cam when they fail. To save face, all they have to do is replace the cam and tell other customers that mechanic didn't install it correctly. Any manufacture can have lobes worn off. Some of it may be due to improper installation and some due to the engine it's in (poor oiling). Not everyone buys an XE cam, but a lot all the failures seem to come from this series of camshafts. I'm sure the pertcentage of failures is small, but they seem to fail more often than the other more conservative cams.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:02 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by mandm1200
The XE series should make a little more power. Partly because they designed the cam for better exhaust flow, but I also think the ramps are a little more aggressive. There have been some failures on these XE cams, which get posted here. Some of that could be from improper installation and some of attributed to the manufacuter pushing the envelope of the ramp.

Originally Posted by 73, Dark Blue 454
...... Do a seach on camaros.net (I did) and you'll learn of valve train noise and problems with the XE line. It's thought the ramps are too steep for flat tap cams.

Good luck,
Wes

I based my observation on the above posts. My intention is not to start a pissing contest on cam design that i am ill equipped to argue since i do not have any technical expertise on this subject other then being an XE consumer. I will again state that there is more anectodatal evidence of XE cam failure then there is direct evidence of it...Again as i have done in the past I invite people with direct first hand knowledge of XE cam failure on there car to tell us about it . in the past there has been one maybe two people who have first hand knowledge of this failure. what I am saying is that i believe there are too many variables associated with Cam installations to castigate a whole series of cams based on annectodal and second hand information. Not to mention i seriously hope they are a good product since i have one.

edit heres a previous thread, post 34 is very informative
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...cam+wiped+lobe

Last edited by bobs77vet; 05-19-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Comp Cams, High Energy 268

Old 05-19-2005, 08:42 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

If you'll notice on the spec sheets, the XE line of cams has the same intake lobe as their traditional Magnum brothers. But the exhaust lobe is considered by some to be too steep. Please note, that almost always, the XE failures occur on the exhaust lobes. That's more than anecdotal evidence of a problem.

Here's some excellent advise from Vissard, Isky, and others regarding dual-pattern cams in general:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=dual+pattern

These are pretty solid opinions which steered me to traditional single pattern cams.

I'm still looking for a thread that referenced Isky regarding steep ramps...that anything less than 47.5% (duration @ .50/lift) was too harsh for a flat tap valve train...a test was cited. It may be on the chevelles.com page. Stay tuned.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:02 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Sorry, the above link was abbreviated and won't work. Go to camaros.net , then to the tech discussion, and search "Dual Pattern Cams" (must use the caps...and search for the title, not the entire posts) in their performance section.

Good info from some legends.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:10 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

i'll look at that website, i am a fan of Vizard's

edit .....well been there and looked at the site, interesting thks, lot of those guys love the XEseries and i saw no mention in the three pages i reviewed (from the caption you sent me to) of any wiped lobes. seems some guys complained of noise and others had no noise problems...i have no noise problem. i found one reference to Vizards book that said a single pattern cam in a certain application would produce more power. (he was not critical of the XE design )

Last edited by bobs77vet; 05-19-2005 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Comp Cams, High Energy 268