C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horns Inop

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Horn Inop

My horn no longer works. I push on the horn pad and nothing. The
corvette service manual instructs one to check connections, check for
defective relay (I replaced it and you only hear the relay click when you push on the horn pad), and check for defective switch or horns.
The fuse is not blown. I checked fuse for power with a test light (light lit up)

Which leads to my question, how does one check to see if power is
getting to the horns. As for horn switches and horns, I will call around for pricing. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 06-22-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:27 AM
fast idle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my 75 last night i replaced the relay and horns,still no steady beep,i then noticed that the flat plate wich is the actual switch was rusted lightly(just under horn cap)cleaned the contacts with 400 grit paper and away we go, too bad i didn't realize it was 1.30 am. or i wouldn't have been blasting it to make sure it worked well
Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Prolly the horn diaphrams are rotted
Old 06-25-2005, 07:21 AM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast idle
on my 75 last night i replaced the relay and horns,still no steady beep,i then noticed that the flat plate wich is the actual switch was rusted lightly(just under horn cap)cleaned the contacts with 400 grit paper and away we go, too bad i didn't realize it was 1.30 am. or i wouldn't have been blasting it to make sure it worked well
This happened to me. But you can also check to make sure your horn is getting voltage by disconnecting the wire going to the horn and attaching a volt meter to it. Watch the meter as you have a friend push the horn button. First check to see that you're getting >12 volts and then check to see that you're getting >10 amps. Checking amps is important since dirty connects or bad grounds can prevent enough amps from getting to horn but a test lamp will still light up! A simple test lamp will not allow you to check voltage & amps properly.

Get notified of new replies

To Horns Inop

Quick Reply: Horns Inop