C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Sidepipes in So California

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 12:00 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hooker Sidepipes in So California

Greetings,

I'm wondering how many of you live in Southern California and are running Hooker Sidepipes. There has been a lot of grumble lately from the motorcycle community, as LEO's in Los Angeles are ticketing motorcycles with "louder than stock" exhaust, for which the criteria are largely based on the officer's opinion.

I'm considering spending a hefty chunk of change on stainless pipes and JCL baffles, and am just having trouble clicking "pay now" if you know what I mean.

My gut instinct is that LEO's will target ricers like Civics and Integras running loud coffee cans and turbo blow-offs, as well as loud choppers and stunters/sportbikes... and they would probably look at a musclecar/classic with a little more leniency. Especially a 1969 which did have a factory sidepipe option.

Technically, however, all the officer has to do is write me a fix-it for the sidepipes, and I'll end up going to an inspection station, where they'll also find missing emissions equipment, non-DOT headlights (L-88), and all of a sudden I'm forced to sell my car cause it won't ever be street legal in California.

What are your opinions?

The blonde weasel
Old 06-29-2005, 12:38 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by iNdigo
Greetings,

I'm wondering how many of you live in Southern California and are running Hooker Sidepipes. There has been a lot of grumble lately from the motorcycle community, as LEO's in Los Angeles are ticketing motorcycles with "louder than stock" exhaust, for which the criteria are largely based on the officer's opinion.

I'm considering spending a hefty chunk of change on stainless pipes and JCL baffles, and am just having trouble clicking "pay now" if you know what I mean.

My gut instinct is that LEO's will target ricers like Civics and Integras running loud coffee cans and turbo blow-offs, as well as loud choppers and stunters/sportbikes... and they would probably look at a musclecar/classic with a little more leniency. Especially a 1969 which did have a factory sidepipe option.

Technically, however, all the officer has to do is write me a fix-it for the sidepipes, and I'll end up going to an inspection station, where they'll also find missing emissions equipment, non-DOT headlights (L-88), and all of a sudden I'm forced to sell my car cause it won't ever be street legal in California.

What are your opinions?

The blonde weasel
You will be stopped about once a block in CA. At least that is what was happening to my Dad back in the '80's with his 69 Vette with hooker sidepipes. He was stopped a lot and got tired of it and sold the car. Might be a different story these days but lets wait to hear what the other guys say.

-Mark.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:58 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iNdigo
Greetings,

What are your opinions?

The blonde weasel
I live in So Cal....have several friends that have 69's-75 and earlier C2's etc.era vettes with BB and they have sidepipes.One,a 69 rat,is very loud....the bottomline is simply this: The current exhaust code(noise in db's) allows a max of 95 db for performance exhaust..in Calif....now some local(few) area's may be cracking down,but they certainly are not from Temecula to San Diego....there are more bikes out there with very loud exhausts than vettes with side pipes.If I f did not have a 78,I'd be fitting sidepipes in a heartbeat !!! You are lucky...go for it..
Rich
Old 06-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Randexter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope not realy a problem, I live out in the inland empire and have never been pulled over for my side exuast, which is realy loud, I have the hookers on my small block with a glasspack muffler inside. cops dont seem to mind, I did get pulled over for rear break light that had gone out and when i went to get the car inspected all they did was take a quick look, they didnt go and do a big inspection on the car so i think youll be just fine, so hurry up and get the pipes you love it.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:36 PM
SharkPilot
Instructor

I have had my Hooker sidepipes for many years and have never had a problem. I do have the glass-packs so I would imagine they are a bit quieter than the JCL baffles.
I take the car into Irvine and Newport Beach pretty frequently and if nobody has a problem in those places then I don't worry too much about it anywhere else. My sig photo was shot on Balboa Island. Nobody cared or even seemed to notice the noise.
I say go for it. If someone has a problem you can always replace the baffles with the glass-packs.

All the best,
SharkPilot
Old 06-29-2005, 03:43 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

When I got my Sidepipes, the box said:

NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR USE IN CALIFORNIA

Old 06-29-2005, 04:46 PM
iNdigo
Pro

well yeah, I know they're not legal, that's why they're called "outlaw pipes". I was asking to get a better idea of what others' experience is in Southern California in terms of enforcement.

I've been running a set of old, tired, painted sidepipes for the last several years, and never had a problem. Similar experiences to others... got pulled over for no front license plate, and they never asked about the pipes. Even though the LEO just about burned his uniform when he was standing next to my window

Now, I figure a set of nice stainless pipes will attract even less suspicion, seeing as it will complete the car's look as a restored classic sports car.

thanks for your comments.

tbw
Old 06-29-2005, 04:59 PM
SharkPilot
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
When I got my Sidepipes, the box said:

NOT LEGAL FOR SALE OR USE IN CALIFORNIA

Why not???
For a '75 or later that makes sense. But what's the problem with an earlier model car? They can be equipped with air injection fittings so that's a non-issue. Interesting...
Probably just a blanket statement from their Legal Department.

SharkPilot
Old 06-29-2005, 05:41 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Well unless they come with AIR fittings from the factory, I'd imagine the California Air Resource Board would simply not approve it. No C.A.R.B. certification = not legal in CA.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:28 PM
Daytona69
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my '69 (out of state) with the Hookers/JCLs already on it. The DMV had no problem with them when they did the inspection to get it registered and I haven't been bothered by the cops at all.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Only place the cops MIGHT be a PITA is in Pacific Beach. Other than that I've driven around without either license plate on (I put it in the back window so it doesn't get stolen) and have had very few problems.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:45 AM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalway
Only place the cops MIGHT be a PITA is in Pacific Beach. Other than that I've driven around without either license plate on (I put it in the back window so it doesn't get stolen) and have had very few problems.
Right...the cops are only hardazzes in PB...

Were you driving eastbound on I-8 near the Allied Gardens/College exit on or about June 19th (Sun., Father's Day), @ 12 noon(+/-)? I saw a "resale red" 80-something Vette without a rear plate about that time.

How's the "smog exemption" application going?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:53 AM
WhichVette?
Pro

Resale Red? Now I can describe the color of my car a little better.

Why do you drive around with your plate in the window? Seriously, do you have problems with your plates being stolen? If so, I have a feeling it's more about causing you grief than getting plates. Can't see why a vette plate would be a bigger target than the millions of plates everywhere you turn.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:42 AM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Originally Posted by WhichVette?
Resale Red? Now I can describe the color of my car a little better.
It's that bright red, typically seen on cars that have been recently painted (w/overspray on the undercarriage & weatherstripping) sitting on a dealer's lot waiting to be sold...
Old 06-30-2005, 01:57 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

Have problems with an ex-girlfriend telling lies about me to her friends. They know I drive a red Corvette and it's not like it's an every day car so they stole both of my plates and gas cap. So I had to get new plates and a locking gas cap. Thank god they didn't put crap in my tank otherwise I would have had to been doing my own investigation for the insurance company and kicking some serious ***. I'm a member of the Internation Private Investigator Union, by the way

I went to the DMV the other day to apply for the historic plates and they said I've gotta wait till January of next year to do it. However it doesn't need to smog to renew this year so I just went ahead and renewed the reg and will get the plates next July, when reg expires. I don't drive it very often anyways so I don't need normal plates any more.

My vette wasn't running as of June 19th... I was riding the bike that day. I just got the vette running again last Sunday.
Old 06-30-2005, 02:25 AM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kalway
I'm a member of the Internation Private Investigator Union, by the way

I went to the DMV the other day to apply for the historic plates and they said I've gotta wait till January of next year to do it. However it doesn't need to smog to renew this year so I just went ahead and renewed the reg and will get the plates next July, when reg expires.
You're not old enough to be a PI in Calif. Have you completed your 6000 hours of apprenticeship under a licensed PI? Took me almost 10 yrs. to get licensed in Cali.

Didn't you have to smog the car when you purchased? Did it pass then? Please post pics of the historic plates when you get them. I'll mark my calendar!
Old 06-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

I'm gettin my apprenticeship this month :P

It smogged when I bought it, back in december.

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Sidepipes in So California

Old 06-30-2005, 02:55 AM
WhichVette?
Pro

I'm a private investigator, too. I especially like to investigate the shaved ones...
Old 06-30-2005, 05:29 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by WhichVette?
I'm a private investigator, too. I especially like to investigate the shaved ones...

Old 06-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

OK...I believe the law states that you can not have exhaust pipes outside of the body. The factory exhaust actually run between the body and frame even though the cover is on the outside, thus are not illegal in that respect. Hooker and other pipes which run on the outside of the body are illegal period, with out any regard to the loudness.

Loudness is a seperate issue and has nothing to do with their being sidepipes. If you like the side pipes and wan to be perfectly legal with a 69 then get the factory sidepipes, but add some additional baffles to reduce the pleasant ringing in the ears.

I have been stopped for things like reverse lights on, and stuff like that, but all the cops have done is smile...as about the year, tell me that their friend, cousing, whatever had one. Then let me go with just a reminder to fix the lights.

Now...if you are driving a vette that obviously has not been taken care of...ratty seats, pealing paint, exhaust dragging on the asphault, etc. then expect the cop to impound your car and arrest you for negligence. But, as long as you aren't running straight pipes then it's really not loud enough to concern yourself. But, it also depends on the neighborhood too.

Quick Reply: Hooker Sidepipes in So California