C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 Oil Pick Up And Fuel Pump Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 09:57 PM
1980 454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Oil Pick Up And Fuel Pump Questions.

Is the oil pick up for 454 corvette the same as any other 454 oil pick up or is there a long or short one ? Secondly ive decided to go with a normal mechanical fuel pump until i pull the body but my question is 454 mechanical fuel pump the same as any other vehicle or does corvette have one designed for tight spots,and should i get a pump for high power 454 roughly 500 h/p and is the pump discontinued.Any other tips on making my 454 conversion would be appreciated ive allready checked out diabolical what an excellent site. thanks muchly!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:18 PM
pauvil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm working on the same thing for my 75. You should always take your pan and measure for your pick up, they are different depending on the application and you will run it dry if your off at high rpm, should be around 1/2" from the bottom of the pan, there are a bunch of ways to do this. The fuel pump should have no problem clearing, just get a nice high volume for that motor. What kind of springs are you putting in the fron end for the BBC ???
Old 07-08-2005, 01:40 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The challenge with aftermarket fuel pump fitment is in the positioning of the outlets. Your best bet is getting a unit that has an adjustable lower housing, so that you can move the outlets to whatever position works best.

good luck

tbw
Old 07-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Techno
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the pick up depends on the oil pans capacity. Also pretty sure the pans a bit deeper.

On the fuel pump if you can swing it an electric is a nice option. I had a hot soak problem and thats gone now with the electric pump and a switch to allow priming it.
I didn't mount it on rubber so it can be heard growling and then changes to a grumble when the bowl is full.

Get notified of new replies

To 454 Oil Pick Up And Fuel Pump Questions.

Quick Reply: 454 Oil Pick Up And Fuel Pump Questions.