C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bit to drill a hole in eng. block?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 AM
stingray_jim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best bit to drill a hole in eng. block?

Hi All,

I posted last week about my knucklehead engine builder who gave me a staggered bolt starter mount (big flywheel - 168 tooth) for my straight bolt mount car (small flywheel - 153 tooth). I bought a mini starter that has a billet steel adaptor for either bolt pattern. But after looking at it I'd really prefer to not use the adaptor and use the straight line bolts to bolt the starter directly to the engine block. I started drilling (with the use of a jig for perfect alignment) using a new titanium bit and my trusty black and decker hand drill. I got about 1/8 in after like 15 minutes. Any ideas? A hammer drill maybe? Is there a better bit for getting through the engine material? I need the hole to be about 1 1/4 inches deep before I tap it.

Many thanks, if all goes well I'll turn the key Sunday!!

Jim
Old 07-08-2005, 07:31 AM
fast idle
Pro

you won't find a good drill bit in home depot,the titanium is only to help it pass heat off.go to an industrial supply shop and get a cobalt bit . they are a little pricey but will work.
you need to keep the bit cool while drilling,that's why it drilled some at first then quit,it heated up and lost it's temper.when a bit gets hot,it's done.get a container of motor oil to dip the bit in every couple of moments,this will make the bit last.
finally, don't use a 3/8 bit to start a 3/8 hole, start at 1/8, then 1/4 than 3/8 this staging makes it easier on bits and will actually work(as opposed to what you have now)
good luck.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:41 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never new cast iron was touch to drill. By starting small like fast idle suggested it will go alot easier. If you are having problems your drill bit is either dull or you are starting will too big a bit.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:43 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
I never new cast iron was touch to drill. By starting small like fast idle suggested it will go alot easier. If you are having problems your drill bit is either dull or you are starting will too big a bit.
Start at 1/8" at the most. You just gotta make sure it is
straight and centered. Once that first pilot hole is in, it is very tough
to change location or angle ... at least upsidedown with a hand drill.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:02 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

If you use the larger drill bit for your jig and just drill about an 1/8 inch or so and than go to the 1/8" drill bit the hole that the large bit started will help center the small bit.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Wouldn't it just be easier to just buy a 168 toothed flywheel? Both the 153 and the 168 will work with a SB 4 spd... Dave..
Old 07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good, sharp brand-new one. Cast iron is pretty easy to drill.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
Wouldn't it just be easier to just buy a 168 toothed flywheel? Both the 153 and the 168 will work with a SB 4 spd... Dave..

You can't get a straight good hole drilled and tapped using a hand drill - you need to get the block in a radial arm drill if you intend to do it right. Also note that the starter bolt hole is not tapped all the way to the surface: It has a tight-tolerance counterbore near the surface to tightly fit the knurled shank of the starter bolt. This is critical for proper starter alignment and to prevent the starter from moving around. I wouldn't even try to do that by hand.

Either get the right starter or swap the flywheel/flexplate. Most ministarters have dual bolt patterns and can be used on either block with either flywheel. Skip the drilling or you may be shopping for a new block.

Last edited by lars; 07-08-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:30 PM
mooneyd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever you do, don't use a hammer drill You could crack the block. The above advice is all good. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:46 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

If anyone wants the best drill bits they are called Cobalt, they are expensive but they are worth it. I worked in a machine shop and they had a set of cobalt bits that would go thru anything and stay sharp. They were black and looked like an ordinary drill bit, sometimes you would get them mixed up with an ordinary bit but it only takes a few seconds to figure out it isn't a cobalt bit.

These titanium bits are a pile of crap, I think they paint some gold titanium fairy dust on them and sell them for a higher price, they are no better than any cheap bit, just my opinion of this here

Last edited by MotorHead; 07-08-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 01:28 PM
iNdigo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not use a hi torque mini starter that has provisions for both 153 and 168 tooth flywheels? I'm not familiar with this billet adaptor you're talking about, but most starters have two sets of bolt holes through their mounting blocks so it works with both setups.

tbw
Old 07-08-2005, 09:25 PM
45ACP
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any properly sharpened drill that is made of high speed steel (it will likely be marked "HS" or HSS") will drill cast iron with ease.

As far as the mention of "titanium" drills above, they most certainly are NOT made of titanium. They are hss with a thin plating of titanium nitride. The "Tin" coating is extremely hard, boosting wear resistance dramatically + actually reduces cutting force. For production purposes it is great stuff, but for mechanics (backyard or pro) there is no real need for it.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 PM
stingray_jim
Advanced

Default Thanks Gang

I went ahead and bolted the mini starter on. It appears that it will line up properly. (PLease, please, please???) I won't know till go to turn her. The guys at CSR starter told me I am better off going straight to the block, but it looks like everything should work. Plus I save 10 lbs. or so. The CSR guys said the adaptor could loosen up over time. I guess that is not a big deal to check. I am running 9:1 compression and they indicated it was the torque of starting and not vibration that twists the starter bolts loose. Given these starters are for big compression engines I hope (fingers crossed) I am ok.

Thanks sooo much for the input.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Best bit to drill a hole in eng. block?

Quick Reply: Best bit to drill a hole in eng. block?