C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission fluid pouring out

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 AM
79inSD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transmission fluid pouring out

All right here we go. Today I put the car in reverse and backed out of my driveway then put it in drive and went about 5ft. I look in the mirror and saw that there was a trail of fluid down the driveway, and a small puddle where i had shifted into drive. I still had the car running looked under it, and it was not leaking while in park or drive. I also noticed that I there was a slightly smaller trail of oil from yesterday. It is transmission fluid. I it appeared to have come out of the middle passanger side of the car in I had to get to work so I drove the car to work. I looked at the spot that I parked in yesterday, and there was also a trail of fluid from when I back out. Has anyone heard of this before? I have not clue on what this could be. Also my landloard freaks out about oil in the drive way So I know he will be waiting for me when I get home.

Jeff
Old 07-19-2005, 10:00 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 79inSD
All right here we go. Today I put the car in reverse and backed out of my driveway then put it in drive and went about 5ft. I look in the mirror and saw that there was a trail of fluid down the driveway, and a small puddle where i had shifted into drive. I still had the car running looked under it, and it was not leaking while in park or drive. I also noticed that I there was a slightly smaller trail of oil from yesterday. It is transmission fluid. I it appeared to have come out of the middle passanger side of the car in I had to get to work so I drove the car to work. I looked at the spot that I parked in yesterday, and there was also a trail of fluid from when I back out. Has anyone heard of this before? I have not clue on what this could be. Also my landloard freaks out about oil in the drive way So I know he will be waiting for me when I get home.

Jeff
Sounds like one of the fluid lines to the radiator may be ruptured.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:40 AM
79inSD
Racer

I did just put a new radiator in with all new lines. I will go and take a look.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:54 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cha-ching!
Old 07-19-2005, 11:03 AM
79inSD
Racer

Just went out and took a look. The lines are still on. I did not see any cracks or cuts in them. But I could not really get a close look at them since I am at work. I will have to take a closer look once I get home today. Do the lines get under pressure when you shift in reverse? Great now I have a song stuck in my head.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:33 AM
G dad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went out and took a look. The lines are still on. I did not see any cracks or cuts in them. But I could not really get a close look at them since I am at work. I will have to take a closer look once I get home today. Do the lines get under pressure when you shift in reverse? Great now I have a song stuck in my head.
Take a look at the shift modulator sometimes they leak there or just beside that there is a seal with a snap ring that leaks too.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 AM
79inSD
Racer

Well after work, I had a friend watch the car while i put it in reverse. The leak was comming from the bottom line that runs in the radiator. So I put on 2 new hose clamps, I do not think it was comming from the threads of the line running into the radiator itself. I backed up the car a few times and there was no fluid. So I hope this was the problem. I guess I will find out when I go to work in the morning.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:13 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well after work, I had a friend watch the car while i put it in reverse. The leak was comming from the bottom line that runs in the radiator. So I put on 2 new hose clamps, I do not think it was comming from the threads of the line running into the radiator itself. I backed up the car a few times and there was no fluid. So I hope this was the problem. I guess I will find out when I go to work in the morning.
Good news, similar thing happened to me when I took my radiator out, I forgot to tighten one of the hoses to the radiator and it just leaked everywhere when I started her up
Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 AM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

What song?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:46 AM
jeaux
Racer

Don't forget to top off the fluid!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:53 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Location: Fairview Heights Illinois, near Saint Louis MO, STL C3 Shark
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened to me once in college with my 68 chevy truck I restored. Luckily I had one of those knives that has the pliers built in, and a spare quart of tranny fluid. I noticed it in the rearview going around a corner, ended up pulling the passenger side of the truck up on the curb, killed the engine, crawled under neath, used my knife-pliers to re-attach the clamp. My clamp actually just let loose completely. Ahhh. The joys of old cars!! Then I had to run home change close and race back to get to class on time!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Leclaire
Intermediate

Seems you found the problem. I had a similar situation when after enjoying a drive parked the car in the garage only to find trans. fluid all over the floor in the morning. I changed the gasket and filter added new fluid and drove it again. The next day again trans. fluid all over the garage floor. It turned out to be the o ring in the trans. dip stick tube. Changed that and no more leaks. Hope this saves someone the trouble of changing the trans gasket twice, like I did before the real problem is discovered.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:54 PM
ruby76
Drifting

yeah, I hated that little o-ring. battled that one too. before I replaced it I when through a whole tube of rtv sealant trying to band-aid it.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steelblue shark
What song?
David Bowie - Under Pressure ??
Old 07-20-2005, 04:22 PM
The Green Hornet
Melting Slicks

Location: Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer. Wisconsin
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Great now I have a song stuck in my head.

I had stuck in the middle with you stuck in my head for a week & 1/2.
after reading the above, its back!!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 07:09 PM
jimbow
Advanced

I just completed a conversion today from an automatic to a Muncie...which I really love anyway...but the last straw w./the auto was a "leak" so bad the trans quit pulling and I had to be towed home
And this is after I had a rebuild about 5000 miles ago
After we got the auto out ,we found the problem: Check the O ring on the dipstick...good advice....thats all it was.
Anyone needing a TH 350? good luck on those autos, jim

ruby76 should perhaps change his tag to "McGuiver"
Old 07-22-2005, 12:05 AM
Sandiego70
Racer

O ring at bottom or the gasket where dip stick fits top of tube?

Get notified of new replies

To transmission fluid pouring out

Old 07-22-2005, 12:33 AM
79inSD
Racer

Originally Posted by Z-man
David Bowie - Under Pressure ??
It's not david bowie- you got me under pressure. I think it is zz top.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:37 AM
79inSD
Racer

Originally Posted by jimbow
I just completed a conversion today from an automatic to a Muncie...which I really love anyway...but the last straw w./the auto was a "leak" so bad the trans quit pulling and I had to be towed home
And this is after I had a rebuild about 5000 miles ago
After we got the auto out ,we found the problem: Check the O ring on the dipstick...good advice....thats all it was.
Anyone needing a TH 350? good luck on those autos, jim

ruby76 should perhaps change his tag to "McGuiver"

I might need it, The trans is droping out of 3 when I am driving now. I have to drop into second then shift back to 3rd. 1st and 2nd gears work fine. Anyone had that happen before.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:58 AM
ruby76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sandiego70
O ring at bottom or the gasket where dip stick fits top of tube?
o ring at the bottom

Quick Reply: transmission fluid pouring out