C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Air intake duct

Old 08-01-2005, 12:33 AM
smapple
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1979 Air intake duct

I took the air duct off my '79 vette as I had to remove the radiator. I then put everything back in, and mounted it all. When I try to put the duct back- it doesn't fit between the fan shroud and the hood. What's up? Is it supposed to just mount on top? (My guess) or is it supposed to go between the bows on top of the radiator, and the A/C Condenser? I'm buying an assembly manual, as there are NO drawings or pictures of this in ANY manual I have seen. Even the part catalogs don't show how it is to be assembled.

Any help/hints are appreciated. As a side note- it also has another duct to the side that goes into the second snorkel on the air horn. This front duct fits over that piece with an opening into it that faces upwards towards this duct.

What am I missing?

Steve
Old 08-01-2005, 01:23 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gave mine away, but I recall it is "split" horizontally in the front. The "split" part fits over and under the radiator support. In other words, the front end of it has a "top" and "bottom", you fit it onto the rad support by pulling the top/bottom apart a little then pushing from the back. There are two captured nuts/speed nut things on the outside edge that correspond to two small bolt holes on the top of the rad support. Bolts go in from the top, but the thing will stay put without them anyway.

As to hooking up the snorkel part, I have no clue....

*edit* I found some pictures of mine if you still need more help.

Last edited by Star79; 08-01-2005 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:00 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll take some pics later today and post 'm for you.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This may help.

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Air intake duct

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1979 Air intake duct