C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 1970 side window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:34 PM
70inSBIn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 1970 side window adjustment

I have been trying to get the side windows adjusted on my car, and not having much luck. Maybe Im trying to get them too perfect. The issue I'm having, is it almost seems like the glass isnt quite shaped like the opening. When I started the process, I used the windshield frame as a starting point. I got the angle of the front edge of the glass to match the angle of the windshield pillar post perfect. It seats right into the weatherstrip very nicely. Now, when I have this edge fit perfect, the top edge of the glass slants downhill where it would seat with the T-top. The glass top edge wants to hit the rear end of the t-top while there is still a gap near the front by the pillar post. Mind you, the angle of the glass front edge mates perfect at the pillar post. Its like the rear edge of the door glass is supposed to go into the t-top deeper than the front end, but it makes the door shut not so good.

Then I tried to adjust the top edge of the glass with the t-top. But when I get the two to mate together well, the angle of the glass front edge doesnt mate with the pillar post very well.

Im guessing that I will have to split the difference but it seems like it should fit better than it does. Im too the point where Ive been contemplating building a shim of some kind to put between the t-top and the t-top weatherstrip to try and mimick the slanted angle better.

Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:22 AM
zipp-75
Advanced

I ran into a similar problem when I was adjusting my windows to fit with the hard top and with the soft top on mine. What a nightmare with a steep learning curve.

You can adjust the "rotation" of the window using the 2 bolts at the regulator in the center of the door by pulling 1 down more than the other or vise versa. This will relfect the top and leading edges at the same time. Get the top edge right first.

Once the top edge is good you can adjust the leading edge engagement depth by moving the rear track forward and back with the 2 bolts on top. The leading edge should only be touching the seal and notpinching it up into the channel.

Hope this helps, just the proceedure I used.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:33 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

I recall that side glass is different for t-top and convertible for some years. Can't remember off hand, but the Corvette catalogs should help. Someone didn't install the wrong side glass along the way, or is the glass still original?

Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The pillars appear to have tolerance issues. Put the same glass in another car, and it may fit. It's all about compromise..
Old 08-16-2005, 12:41 PM
70inSBIn
Instructor

Its Astro Ventalation labeled, but Im not sure if its original to the car. I wasn't aware of the possibility of different glass between t-top and ragtop. I should check into that. It just doesn't seem like even if I compromise the front and top angles, that its going to be a very good fit.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:45 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The "A" pillars are the same. The "B" pillar edge of the glass is foward raked on a vert. (you would easily see this..it is completely different)
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM
70inSBIn
Instructor

In that case, I'd say its the correct glass. Its just like the A pillar needs to be raked back a bit more, or the front corner of the T-tops needs to come down farther to close the gap. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to comprimise on the A pillar angle to get the top edge to mate with the t-top better.

My dads an old school C2 guy, and he razzes me on Corvette fit and finish all the time. Particularly C3's. I would by that to an extent, but this glass has to fit better than it does. I wish I had a fellow bumper car guy who lived near me to compare.

Did the T-tops change at all? I know mine aren't original to the car, but I thought they were from a bumper car also.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to complicate matters further...but door alignment and weatherstrip alignment has a large effect on how glass fits. A droopy door will NEVER allow you to adjust glass perfectly, and mis-alligned weatherstrip will do the same.
I went through exactly what you are now untill I got my doors perfectly aligned. Then had to readjust the new weatherstrip before glass would adjust. Keep playing with it....
Eddie

Get notified of new replies

To Help with 1970 side window adjustment

Quick Reply: Help with 1970 side window adjustment