C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to rebuild PS control valve and PS cylinder?

Old 10-10-2005, 09:19 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard to rebuild PS control valve and PS cylinder?

I need to rebuild the ps stuff on my car since it all leaks. How hard is it to rebuild the control valve and the cylinder yourself? Do the kits come with instructions? Can I go to autozone to pick up a kit, or should I go to VBP? Also, is there any way of telling if my tie rod ends, idler arm, or any of that stuff needs replacing when it is out of the car? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:07 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

I've never tackled a PS valve, but the cylinder is not that big of a deal. I think I got the rebuild kit from NAPA for $10-$12. I found great instructions somewhere online (might have been here)- I'll see if I can dig up a link for you.

Rich
Old 10-10-2005, 11:40 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Oops, forgot to ask this. Is there anything special done to the expensive rebuilt units, or do they just use these reseal kits?
Old 10-10-2005, 11:59 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

I rebuilt both the valve and cylinder in about 2 hours, and it was my first time. That included getting them off the car, and getting enough of the leaking stuff off the parts to handle them. My car was pouring fluid prior to the rebuild. Now it is dry as a bone. I might add, that I added about 3-4 oz. of "No Leak" when I put the stuff back. It comes in a brown bottle and can be found at the Zone. It is literally called "No Leak". I don't know if it is true, but I understand that an awful lot of cars come from the factory with this stuff in them. I would go with rebuilding it yourself, but then again, I am one cheap sumbi@#$.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:00 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

rebuilding it myself sounds like the thing to do. Everythign is already off the car sitting in the garage.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:15 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I rebuilt both parts myself and soon ended up replacing both with new pieces. Your parts may be too far gone but it's worth a try, just be aware.

-Chris
Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I rebuilt both when I had my 77 with the kits from Zip. Not hard at all. Kit came with instructions. Just lay the parts out on a bench in the order you took them off. Pay attention to placement & direction of those parts and you should have no problems.
Mine lasted 2yrs...no leaks...sold the car.
Eddie
Old 10-11-2005, 08:23 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Originally Posted by lostpatrolman
I need to rebuild the ps stuff on my car since it all leaks. How hard is it to rebuild the control valve and the cylinder yourself? Do the kits come with instructions? Can I go to autozone to pick up a kit, or should I go to VBP? Also, is there any way of telling if my tie rod ends, idler arm, or any of that stuff needs replacing when it is out of the car? Thanks.
I just rebuilt my cylinder it was a piece of cake. I am getting readyready to overhaul my control valve I found a pretty good link let me try to put it here for you. http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2005...teering-01.asp try to open this link up if not I will try again to get it to you anyway good luck
Old 10-11-2005, 08:26 AM
wnmech
Drifting

Originally Posted by wnmech
I just rebuilt my cylinder it was a piece of cake. I am getting readyready to overhaul my control valve I found a pretty good link let me try to put it here for you. http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2005...teering-01.asp try to open this link up if not I will try again to get it to you anyway good luck
Also I found here in texas that autozone does not carry either of those kits. I got my cylinder kit at oreillys for $12 dollars and they have the control valve kit for $10 dollars
Old 10-11-2005, 09:23 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

oh wow, those are some very detailed instructions. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2005, 08:42 PM
vabeachvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chilton's manual has a good exploded pic of the parts, that helped me out a lot, overall the job was pretty easy.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:25 AM
knkayotte
Melting Slicks

My cylinder shaft was bent, make sure to double check yours. Ended up replacing the whole thing.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:29 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

I chose to replace them. I have 'heard' that centering the control valve can be a challenge after a rebuild. I didn't have this problem with the VB&P kit I purchased. My old system leaked heavily and was overdue for a rebuild.

I'd recommend you also rebuild the PS pump while you are at it. Did not see whether you were replacing the lines but I have 'heard' that the lines rot from the inside and the particles end up in the fluid and the rest of the components. So new lines, rebuild of moving components and a thorough flushing should occur.

Now, I've bought a Van Steel PS kit and am planning a manual-to-power conversion this winter on the '69.

Last edited by TedH; 10-12-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:32 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

I bet if you look in www.corvettefaq.com, under steering, you will find some very good instructions from our very own Jim Shea. He has posted volumes about rebuilding steering components. He retired from the company that built your steering components.

Gary
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lostpatrolman
Oops, forgot to ask this. Is there anything special done to the expensive rebuilt units, or do they just use these reseal kits?
I believe they (VB&P) put a new piston/rod/shaft in the slave (steering) cylinder: "... a new chrome molly shaft" per the VB&P catalog. "... Pressure tested and zero-adjusted... Five Year limited warrnty on valve and cylinder, one year on hoses..." Granted, you pay $230 plus S&H (per the '04 Catalog)...

I was installing the kit and was local to their factory in the Tampa Bay area when I replaced mine.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:32 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rebuilt both of mine with the kits out of all the catalogs. The kits don't come with hard parts only the rubber seals. At the time I was still a certifed auto mechanic and I rebuilt aircraft hydraulics for the USAF. I cleaned and painted everything then replaced all parts included in the kits. I really wanted to completely rebuild then but I just couldn't get the inner parts (rod/piston/spindle). Got it all back on the car and almost had it adjusted when the valve's seals came back out under pressure. I shot pressurized power steering fluid all over my garage before I could get the car shut off. I was still cleaning that fluid long after I forgot how much the new parts cost.

My .02. Buy new and don't bother with the rebuild.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To How hard to rebuild PS control valve and PS cylinder?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How hard to rebuild PS control valve and PS cylinder?