Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 10-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
Hwy St*r
CF Senior Member

Default Will Radiator Stop Leak Work for the Heater Core?

Help! My '78 Daily Driver is having a couple of problems. Latest is anti-freeze on passenger side carpet. I know probably heater core. 2 week ago I dropped the car off at my local mechanic for an oil change and he told me the hose going to the heater needed replacement. The bracket had fallen and the hose was suffering from a case of road rash. Being it was there and he had it up on the lift I had him replace. Shortly after I noticed small amount of steam on windshield by defroster vents and now the anti-freeze wet carpet. Could it possibly be, hopefully be just a not tight enough connected hose? I have replaced heater core before in a '81 El Camino and it took about ten minutes. I know our cars are a bit more challenging so I'm hoping to avoid having to replace until I can make the time.

Thanx,
-Pete. KEEP DRIVING!!!
Hwy St*r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
PhotoVette1
CF Senior Member

Heater cores tend to leak where the metal pipes enter the core itself. The stress of changing hoses probably did it in. Stop Leak may work; doesn't hurt to try. 4 to 8 hours is a pretty good estimate to change the heater core if you have a/c--I've done it twice in C3's.
PhotoVette1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
bobs77vet
CF Senior Member

don't use stop leak you wont be happy and will have to fix it anyway later....
bobs77vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
CA-Legal-Vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet

I don't know that I've ever had it solve a problem for me.
CA-Legal-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #5
Hwy St*r
CF Senior Member

Is it true that the dash needs to come out to change heater core?

Last edited by Hwy St*r; 10-23-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:49 PM   #6
Kid Vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet
Chances are it will plug up the heater core so antifreeze won't circulate through anymore. You're better off either bypassing the heater core or replacing it.
Kid Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
Hwy St*r
CF Senior Member

Being in NJ I think I'm going to need the heat sooner or later. Where do the hoses connect to the heater core? Underneath? Maybe I'll do a bypass to hold over temporarily until I can fix right......
Old 10-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
bobs77vet
CF Senior Member

i think it depends on if you have AC or not, what yr is the car?
bobs77vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:36 PM   #9
VETDRMS
CF Senior Member

Man, same thing here... I haven't had my heater hooked up for the last two years as I never use it because I don't drive the car in the cold, but this fall I wanted to do some more driving so I hooked it back up. It was fine when I disconnected it, and it was fine for the first 30 miles, but then I started to smell antifreeze, and sure enough, right on the carpet.... I will be pulling the box apart this week, mine is an AC car.

------------------------------------------------------------
SBC 406ci
Best E.T. 11.74
Best MPH 116.08
(4000ft elevation)
3600lbs
245/45/17" Street Tires
TH400
3.55 gear
VETDRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:58 PM   #10
w1ctc
CF Senior Member

I used Alumaseal (spellin?) on a Blazer that was steaming the windsheld. Stopped the leak till I sold it 6 months later.
w1ctc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:30 PM   #11
rihwoods
CF Senior Member

Three solutions..1.by-pass heater core....2..use Bars Leak and it should stop leak...3..replace heater core...
I have had good success with Bars Leak till I decided what to do....
rihwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:56 AM   #12
lebvette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Bars Leak will probably work. It's worth a try. I have a radiator buddy that gives a can of Bars Leak with every radiator he sells. Larry
lebvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:34 AM   #13
rihwoods
CF Senior Member

Be sure to put it directly into radiator,not the overflow tank...
rihwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:58 PM   #14
GUSTO14
CF Senior Member

Just a word of advice regarding radiator seal and Bar's-Leak in particular. This stuff will tend to collect/settle in the water jacket and can block water flow around the cylinders.

I removed the engine from my '63 Corvette to rebuild it (I'm the 2nd owner) in 1970. When I disassembled the engine I discovered that the original owner had dealt with a leak in the aluminum radiator by dumping Bars-Leak into it. The water jacket; from the top at the back of the block, diagonally, to the bottom at the front, was solid Bar's-Leak on both sides of the engine. With this much restricted water flow, there is no way the engine could be cooled properly. It would probably explain why the rings appeared "cooked" in under 25k miles. I spent a couple of hours with a welding-rod cleaning that stuff from the water jacket, it was packed solid.

I agree with those that suggest by-passing the heater core if you must use the car, but I would replace it before I would use any stop leak.

GUSTO
GUSTO14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #15
G dad
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Just a word of advice regarding radiator seal and Bar's-Leak in particular. This stuff will tend to collect/settle in the water jacket and can block water flow around the cylinders.

I agree with those that suggest by-passing the heater core if you must use the car, but I would replace it before I would use any stop leak.

GUSTO
G dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:10 PM   #16
redc3
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G dad
dont use it. do the job right the first time dude! your vette deservse it
redc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:08 PM   #17
neoh77
CF Member

Send a message via AIM to neoh77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSTO14

I removed the engine from my '63 Corvette to rebuild it (I'm the 2nd owner) in 1970. When I disassembled the engine I discovered that the original owner had dealt with a leak in the aluminum radiator by dumping Bars-Leak into it. The water jacket; from the top at the back of the block, diagonally, to the bottom at the front, was solid Bar's-Leak on both sides of the engine. With this much restricted water flow, there is no way the engine could be cooled properly. It would probably explain why the rings appeared "cooked" in under 25k miles. I spent a couple of hours with a welding-rod cleaning that stuff from the water jacket, it was packed solid.

GUSTO

I've learned two things NOT to do to cars... no silicone based interior products and NO engine additives. Previous owner used both... plugged radiator and who knows how much of the engine coolant passages. Bypass that puppy.

Mine gets hot enough through the floor/firewall anyways to keep me warm down to 45 degrees or so.
neoh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #18
Hwy St*r
CF Senior Member

What's the best way to bypass? Simply disconnect the 2 hoses to the heater core and connect them together somehow? One of my summer projects was supposed to be putting a shutoff in the hose to keep the car cooler but my typical procrastination kept me from that. Sure wish I had done it now. I could simply shut it off until I fix....
Old 10-25-2005, 11:18 AM   #19
jackson
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy St*r
What's the best way to bypass? Simply disconnect the 2 hoses to the heater core and connect them together somehow? One of my summer projects was supposed to be putting a shutoff in the hose to keep the car cooler but my typical procrastination kept me from that. Sure wish I had done it now. I could simply shut it off until I fix....
Yes, disconnect both hoses from heater core and connect the two together ... forming a loop from water pump to intake manifold. Note: some folks have their shutoff valve in the return side from core to intake ... but ... that doesn't address the higher-pressure hose from pump to core. Although one is a feed & one is a return ... even the return hose will have some pressure in it ... particularly when hot and engine off. To truly isolate the core ... either take it out of the loop by connecting the hoses as you suggested ... or install 2 shutoff valves ... one in feed & one in return. In a "pinch" I did use visegrip pliers for a SHORT term, only-to-get-me-home bubbafix.
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:15 AM   #20
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
St. Jude Donor '09
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: 1.Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me... 2.That which does not kill me will probably hurt like hell. 3. Islam is the enemy.
Send a message via AIM to Jughead

I just put some Bars leak in one of my DD's. Been using it since my Dad's day. Will drain it out in a month if time (weather)permits or later in the spring. Works everytime and didn't effect the heat output.
Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:15 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Will Radiator Stop Leak Work for the Heater Core?

Tags
1970, bars, bypass, bypassing, core, cores, corvette, heater, heatercore, leak, leakage, radiator, spot, stop, stopleak, work