C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spot painting/repairs with BC/CC urethane paint systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
corvtt1969
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spot painting/repairs with BC/CC urethane paint systems

is it possible to just paint a sectionof a panel and not the entire panel with this paint system? i heard you have to paint the entire panel if you need to repaint a section but i see people on tv wet sand panels and spray flames and such and then just reclearcoat it. am i missing something? thanks - Bob
Old 11-02-2005, 11:27 AM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flames arent being blended into the panel so the repair cannot be seen. you want a flame to be noticable, not a repair or touchup.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:36 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corvtt1969
is it possible to just paint a sectionof a panel and not the entire panel with this paint system? i heard you have to paint the entire panel if you need to repaint a section but i see people on tv wet sand panels and spray flames and such and then just reclearcoat it. am i missing something? thanks - Bob
With B/C C/C systems, you blend the color coat into the panel, then clear the whole panel. If you blend the clear into the panel, you will see the "blend-line". If you must blend the clear, put the transition area in an area not easily seen. G/L
Old 11-02-2005, 11:59 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

That's correct. To do a blend/repair in a BC/CC panel, you wet sand the entire panel (not through the clear), blend the color partially into the panel, then re-clear the entire panel.

When doing flames, you wet sand the entire panel, lay out and shoot the flames in BC, then clear-coat the entire panel to "bury" the flames in the clear.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:06 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

i wasnt planning on painting flames or anything but have spiderwebs in my rear bumper of my DD and was wondering the best route of repairing this, would it be best to just respray the whole part w/ bc and cc?

as for the "blend line" taht was what i was really questioning as i thought there was no way of getting around this but thought i saw them doing it on tv (ie the flame paint job reference)
Old 11-02-2005, 01:17 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

On a panel paint like your rear bumper, it is typical to do the blend into the adjacent panel so that the slight color tint mismatch does not show up. On your car, this would involve a blend into both quarters and into the "deck lid" area, with a re-clear job on the entire rear clip of the car. That's a lot of work.... You may want to consider just repainting the rear bumper cover and accepting the slight mismatch rather than going to this much work on a DD. A good paint mix should get the color matched pretty darned close.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:41 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are using DuPont Chromasystem there is a "blender" solvent available that you can use to blend the clear. You either spray the blender onto the wet clearcoat using another spray gun or thin the clearcoat with the blender, applying successive layers of clear that have been increasingly thinned with the blender (my preference). With each additional coat you extend further away from the repair and onto the existing clear coat. The blender helps the new clearcoat to melt into the existing clear. When rubbing out the finish, be careful not to remove too much of the new clear as its possible to work far enough back to the repair area to cause the blend line mentioned above. It's very useful for areas where there is not a convenient "body break line" to work out to.

The blender also helps to smooth out an area of clear coat that has gone on too dry or has unacceptable orange peel. You have to apply it while the clear coat is still wet, though.

I don't know if other paint systems have a comparable product. But I've had pretty good success with the DuPont blender.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:16 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

this would be a rear bumper on a 2001 bmw 330i, illjust remove the bumper and respray it more than likely
Old 11-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by corvtt1969
this would be a rear bumper on a 2001 bmw 330i, illjust remove the bumper and respray it more than likely
if it's a bumper cover, the easiest way is to remove it for starters, wetsand the entire cover with 400 grit, but be easy.

Then shoot your basecoat where the damaged area is and blend into the whole bumper.. another way of saying it is to dust it. Then clear the whole thing

thats what I did for this bumper

and nooooo body knows where I blended to

Get notified of new replies

To Spot painting/repairs with BC/CC urethane paint systems

Quick Reply: Spot painting/repairs with BC/CC urethane paint systems