C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CORVETTE REAR SPINDLE (MASTER) TOOL SET, best place to get one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 08:34 PM
mslitti
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CORVETTE REAR SPINDLE (MASTER) TOOL SET, best place to get one?

Were is the best place to get a CORVETTE REAR SPINDLE (MASTER) TOOL SET. I saw some for a $199, The Set comes with 2 Removal Tools for cars with or with out disc brakes, Preload Setup Tool, Dial Indicator & Mag Base, Spindle Bearing Puller, Spindle Bearing Driver Tool, and Spindle Install Tool. All of it is Made in the USA, but the Dial Indicator & Mag Base is a import. Is it worth it?
Old 11-02-2005, 09:06 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like either too many tools or over selling the kit.
Here is what I purchased.
1. Spindle Knocker, screws on the threaded end of the spindle and get whacked by a mini-sledge to remove the spindle. Its universal, meaning it can be be used with dics brakes, without disc brakes, and even no brakes.
2. Bearing Set Up Tool. Allows the bearings to be slipped on and the end play checked and corrected without destroying the bearings.
3. Magnetic Base and Dial Indicator. Used with the above and also to check rotor runout.
4. Spindle Installation Tool. Pulls together the bearings onto the spindle for final assembly.
5. Bearing Puller. Tool to remove the outer bearing from the spindle.

For $199, that's a good price. The major catalog vendors will get way more than that.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:48 AM
rustbucket80
Racer

Originally Posted by mandm1200
Sounds like either too many tools or over selling the kit.
Here is what I purchased.
1. Spindle Knocker, screws on the threaded end of the spindle and get whacked by a mini-sledge to remove the spindle. Its universal, meaning it can be be used with dics brakes, without disc brakes, and even no brakes.
2. Bearing Set Up Tool. Allows the bearings to be slipped on and the end play checked and corrected without destroying the bearings.
3. Magnetic Base and Dial Indicator. Used with the above and also to check rotor runout.
4. Spindle Installation Tool. Pulls together the bearings onto the spindle for final assembly.
5. Bearing Puller. Tool to remove the outer bearing from the spindle.

For $199, that's a good price. The major catalog vendors will get way more than that.
Where did you get most of these tools ?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:28 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have seen the tools on Ebay as a set in the past. I haven't looked for them in a while though. I believe I looked for corvette tools to find them. It has been a long while though.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:29 AM
Burnt71
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
I have seen the tools on Ebay as a set in the past. I haven't looked for them in a while though. I believe I looked for corvette tools to find them. It has been a long while though.
I'll start watching , I need them too .
Old 11-03-2005, 08:17 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rustbucket80
Where did you get most of these tools ?

1. Spindle Knocker -- from catalog vendor
2. Bearing Set Up Tool -- Ebay from seller 'bid-quest'
3. Magnetic Base and Dial Indicator -- Harbor Freight
4. Spindle Installation Tool -- Ebay from seller 'bid-quest'
5. Bearing Puller -- Harbor Freight, had to buy 2 add'l bolts at local harware store to pull the bearing off the spindle

The seller, bid-quest, has a couple of items listed. To find him go to Ebay's home page and about an inch down look for Community. Click on that and then enter his name in the box and click on 'Find A Memeber'. Looks like his prices have gone up since last year.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
blctalon
Racer

Fastcorvette has a deal where you rent the tools for $155 then return them for $115.
http://fastcorvette.com/SpindlesParkingBrakes.htm
This does not include a dial dial indicator or bearing puller though. Both of those can be got from harbor freight for a fair price I'd imagine.

I actually ended up keeping the tools incase I had to do it again.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

look up bid-quest on ebay, he sells all the tools needed at very competitive prices
Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 AM
vettepilot68
Pro

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
look up bid-quest on ebay, he sells all the tools needed at very competitive prices
they are on ebay all the time and MUCH cheaper. Unless you are in business...this should be a "one time use" set of tools...no real need to spend the big bucks buying from a warehouse unless you just want to.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:06 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Are the above lists, all of the tools needed to set up the trailing arms. I saw a post not too long ago on the price of the parts necessary to rebuild the t-arms. Could someone ballpark the price for new bearings and parking brake cost, and any other related parts that have to be replaced when doing the rebuild. I have to do mine this coming spring.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:07 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
Old 11-03-2005, 01:37 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MoneyPit
Are the above lists, all of the tools needed to set up the trailing arms. I saw a post not too long ago on the price of the parts necessary to rebuild the t-arms. Could someone ballpark the price for new bearings and parking brake cost, and any other related parts that have to be replaced when doing the rebuild. I have to do mine this coming spring.
Price of parts will vary depending where you get them.
Bearings, inner and outer -- about $30 for both
Seal -- about $5
Grease -- couple of bucks
Stainless parking brake hardware and new shoes -- $65 w/shipping

Dust shields -- $? painted mine
Bushing -- complete kit for rear $?
Old 11-03-2005, 06:01 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

Thanks, Mandm1200. As I have tried to establish on the forum, I am a cheap ba!@#$%. I love to do things myself, and I really want to do this rearend rebuild. It looks as if it would cost around 300 a pop for rebuilt arms. It looks like I can rebuild both of them for a little under half the cost to buy both of them, so I guess I will have to just get under there and get greasy in the spring. If I start cutting on the mounting bolts now, I may get them off by the spring.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:15 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=MoneyPit I am a cheap ba!@#$%. I love to do things myself, and I really want to do this rearend rebuild. [/QUOTE]

Same here! Cost wise, its about the same when tools are figured in. It took me much longer than I expected. I cleaned up the parts in hydrochloric acid to remove the rust and then painted with POR-15.
Another good thing about doing it you yourself is that it gives a better understanding how its all assembled. You don't get any smarter if someone else does the work.

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTE REAR SPINDLE (MASTER) TOOL SET, best place to get one?

Quick Reply: CORVETTE REAR SPINDLE (MASTER) TOOL SET, best place to get one?