C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance/Smog Laws with distributor parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 09:02 PM
tmoneymoney4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance/Smog Laws with distributor parts

Hi this question can be answered pretty easily. I live in California and I was wondering: would a MSD distributor kit upgrade cause problems with my 76 to pass smog? (in California). Or is there nothing truly signifigant about the HEI upgrade to effect my car passing smog?
Old 11-09-2005, 09:07 PM
Bass
Intermediate

I think you should be ok as long as your timing is within specs. This has been my experience and I live in San Francisco. Of course all the smog stuff has to be there, 2-1 exhaust, the original air cleaner etc. Doesn't it suck?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bass
Doesn't it suck?

Left CA in 2000 and didn't look back. Now I can put a top-fuel motor in my '86 Buick Century and, along with my concealed handgun, drive to the all-nude strip club of my choice!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:16 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TonySinclair

Left CA in 2000 and didn't look back. Now I can put a top-fuel motor in my '86 Buick Century and, along with my concealed handgun, drive to the all-nude strip club of my choice!
And that, my friends, is the quote of the day.

November 9, 2005.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:54 AM
tmoneymoney4
Advanced

yeah it doesnt get much better than that
Old 11-10-2005, 03:27 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Shouldn't be an issue with an HEI distributor...Just make sure you get the MSD replacement that has ar CARB EO # on it. MSD's really good about this with a lot of their items.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:56 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

If you're worried about smog, register it with Historic Vehicle plates and never worry again. Or live beyond 50 miles from the DMV so you don't have to smog.

Those are the rules for California. My '81 shall receive historic plates next year.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Leave the distributor with stock curve and configuration for smog testing then put the curve kit in there after. The recurve and manifold vacuum advance hookup will cause emissions and drivabillity to go up.

-Mark.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

By the way, 76 doesn't have to smog. 77 and newer do, though.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:40 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalway
If you're worried about smog, register it with Historic Vehicle plates and never worry again.

Those are the rules for California. My '81 shall receive historic plates next year.
Let's wait to pass judgment on this concept until you've gotten away with it for a couple of years -- I remain skeptical that you've managed to outwit the bureaucrats. And we still haven't heard from anyone else who's managed this particular dodge...
Old 11-10-2005, 02:47 PM
ForMyWife
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kalway
By the way, 76 doesn't have to smog. 77 and newer do, though.
Actually 76 does require smog checks. 75 and older do not.

From the CA site:

"Beginning April 1, 2005, the 30-year rolling exemption will be repealed. Instead, vehicles 1975 model-year and older will be exempt. Therefore, 1976 model-year and newer vehicles will continue to be subject to biennial inspection indefinitely."
Old 11-10-2005, 03:14 PM
tmoneymoney4
Advanced

Default just called DMV

yeah i just called the DMV regarding historical plates.
they told me that:

"car must be 25 years or older"
"car when driven on highway, must be driven only to a historical venue such as a parade etc:
"car is not required to pass smog"

-Therefore, the historical plates do exist in California.
- Now: is it worth getting them, if they try to bust ur *** for a ticket?
Old 11-10-2005, 03:30 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tmoneymoney4
yeah i just called the DMV regarding historical plates.
they told me that:

"car must be 25 years or older"
"car when driven on highway, must be driven only to a historical venue such as a parade etc:
"car is not required to pass smog"

-Therefore, the historical plates do exist in California.
- Now: is it worth getting them, if they try to bust ur *** for a ticket?
Apparently, there are 2 laws the contradict one another. Which one wins? And beyond that...

The 64-dollar question is: How stringent is the CHP about enforcing the driving restrictions? Again, we've never heard from anyone with first-hand experience.

Here in Texas, I don't know of anyone who's ever been pulled over for driving for antique plates (I have 'em -- the car's a Sunday driver). But Texas and Kalifornia are 2 verrrry different places!
Old 11-10-2005, 04:15 PM
ForMyWife
Heel & Toe

The actual form for getting a historical plate has the wording "I certify I understand.... may be driven in...only" So the wording actually suggests you can't even drive it to an event, just in an event. I agree, it all depends on enforcement.
Form is at:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg17a.pdf
Old 11-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ForMyWife

From the CA site:

"Beginning April 1, 2005, the 30-year rolling exemption will be repealed. Instead, vehicles 1975 model-year and older will be exempt. Therefore, 1976 model-year and newer vehicles will continue to be subject to biennial inspection indefinitely."
Well, even THAT is not entirely true...2000 and newer vehicles are not subject to smog for the first 5 years now. Otherwise, I'd have had to smog my 2002 Saturn last year per the DMV. No worries, though...
Old 11-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

If they ask, you were on your way to/from the shop. Seeing as my dad is a retired deputy sheriff and my brother just became one, they just care if you have current registration. If you do something to actually get pulled over for THEN they might give you some trouble. If you drive your vette once a week or less, I highly doubt you'll get any trouble. I only drive it on rainy days and maybe twice a week tops. That 24 gallon tank lasts me awhile.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:19 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Like I said, we'll see. I actually encourage you to go ahead and do it! Then we'll have someone who can report their experiences to others on the forum!.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance/Smog Laws with distributor parts

Old 11-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

I can't do it on mine till January at the earliest, however, my reg doesn't expire till July so I'll do it then. The only place I could imagine having any trouble with it would be Pacific Beach. I got a ticket for splitting lanes on my motorcycle there. I've split lanes past 50 cops and this one has the nerve to tell me it's illegal. Oh well, it got my speeding ticket dismissed and made it so I paid a much lower fine haha.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Bass
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ForMyWife

From the CA site:

Old 11-11-2005, 09:35 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by tmoneymoney4
would a MSD distributor kit upgrade cause problems with my 76 to pass smog? (in California). Or is there nothing truly signifigant about the HEI upgrade to effect my car passing smog?
To answer your original question:
Performance distributors and upgrade kits typically have a more aggressive (quicker) advance curve, and they are set up to allow more initial timing with a 36-degree total. All this tends to run Hydrocarbon emissions significantly higher than the stock distributor. Stock timing systems on emissions-controlled vehicles have an extremely slow advance curve, and are desgned to run very little initial advance. This is why the aftermarket distributors and upgrade kits make such a performance improvement, but they do so at the expense of hydrocarbon emissions. If you need to pass emissions with an MSD distributor, you need to install the stiffest advance springs and retard your initial timing down into the 4 to 8 degree range. If you have vacuum advance, run the vacuum advance off of a ported vacuum source.

Quick Reply: Performance/Smog Laws with distributor parts