C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wouldn't start, then it started normally. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 07:48 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Default Car wouldn't start, then it started normally. What is it?

Drove about 40 miles to Raceway Park this morning, made 1 run, then went to staging lanes again. Waited about one hour, then the car wouldn't start. Engine cranked maybe half a revolution every time I hit the key. Horn had full power, volt gage read 13 with key on. Battery was replaced in July. After about 10 minutes, I tried it again and it started normally. Couldn't race since I didn't know if it would start. Drove home and pulled into the garage. Shut engine off and tried restarting. It started without a problem. Bad connection somewhere? Bad starter? Any guesses?
Old 11-19-2005, 07:59 PM
cmac72
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that problem twice, once in another GM car, the other in some other brand. In the GM it turned out the starter was getting old enough that it was affected by the heat - in the second instance, one of the starter brushes actually cracked and made intermittent contact.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:02 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

cmac - The starter in my car is old. I've owned the car for 12 years and it was in there when I got the car.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

It is heat soak. The starter gets hot resistance goes up and it won't crank the engine. I replaced mine with a mini starter and never had the problem again. Very common problem with chevy motors with headers.

I'll bet it was a little cold at Etown today.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:54 PM
jlaw68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the same problem with my 71 nova a while back, the starter got hot after a while of driving then wouldnt start. when it cooled off the car started with no problem
Old 11-19-2005, 08:59 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordonm
It is heat soak. The starter gets hot resistance goes up and it won't crank the engine. I replaced mine with a mini starter and never had the problem again. Very common problem with chevy motors with headers.

I'll bet it was a little cold at Etown today.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:18 AM
strokervette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had that same problem in my van that also has headers. My problem ended up being the main battery cable that goes to the starter. I replaced it with a 4 gauge welding cable and problem is fixed. I also added a heat sheild around the starter for insurance since I had already replaced it once because the armature burned out from the corrosion building up in the wire. Also a higher compession engines will start easier with a battery with 800 to 1000 cold cranking amps. A "high torque" starter is nice to have as well. Just check everything out and you should be good to go again.

The high torque starter is recognizable by rod reaching out of the solonoid to the housing

Get notified of new replies

To Car wouldn't start, then it started normally. What is it?

Quick Reply: Car wouldn't start, then it started normally. What is it?