C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torquing the QJet .... ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 06:43 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torquing the QJet .... ?

I really didn't find the torque setting in Haynes for the QJet bolts. My AIM says to torque first to 120-168 in/lb (using a cross pattern) then take to 20-30 ft/lbs. I did torque incrementally to 20 ft/lbs ... but sure got scared that I might break a bolt or screw the carb up. I'm going to go out and retorque it this morning. Should I take it to 25 ft/lbs ? What did you torque yours to?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2001, 10:32 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Torquing the QJet .... ? (The Wanderer)

I think your instinct to be very cautious is correct!! I don't have a torque wrench. Part of you wants to keep tightening it down a bit more.... and a bit more.... because you don't want to have any vac leak. I was doing that with mine..... tightening a little more.... then a little more..... and the bolts werent even giving me a whole lot of resistance... and then...fooooooom... the front passenger side stripped out!!! :mad: Now, fortunately for me, the gasket I was using was too wide for the bolts I was using, and I had only stripped out maybe the very first thread on my intake. When I used a thinner gasket the bolt grabbed fine and I didnt overtighten the carb and no major surgery was required.

I don't know about 20 vs 25 ft/lbs, but I would err on the side of loose... if you dont get any vacuum leaks you are ok. carb is unlikely to fall off the car!! MJ
Old 08-05-2001, 10:32 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, I do know that it's NOT 25ft/lbs, that's what I torque the intake manifold to the head bolts! Bet you are going to warp the carb. But I "think" it's in the range of 35-45in/lbs.

Just checked the AIM for mine and it is 35-45in/lbs.

[Modified by KenSny, 9:34 AM 8/5/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 10:36 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been told by a corvette mechanic to only tighten with a wrench that you are holding with your thumb over the bolt (box end) and the wrench in the palm of your hand for leverage. According to him overtighting can warp the carb.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:23 AM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Wanderer,

When I had my carb rebuilt by Jerry Lucks he said 17ft lbs. He says ,I do. Haven't had a problem yet.

BTW my 70 AIM says 24-48in lbs(front bolts), and 20-30 in lbs (rear nuts) Good luck
Old 08-05-2001, 11:36 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Torquing the QJet .... ? (Milest)

After relooking at the page... it is suppose to only torque to 120-168 in/lbs. I backed the bolts back off and retorqued to 130 in/lbs.

Thanks guys

Get notified of new replies

To Torquing the QJet .... ?

Quick Reply: Torquing the QJet .... ?