C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still backfiring Mighty Demon 750

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 07:52 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Still backfiring Mighty Demon 750

Talked with Demon tech. I was advised to advance the timing and back off the idle mixture screws and the idle speed screw. I did just that, the timing is set at about 15 BTDC and the idle speed screws were turned out one full turn. The car still backfires at low rpms and stumbles if not stalls when getting off the clutch in first gear.

I turned the mixture screws out to two full turns to see if it was a lean problem and it backfired even easier. I pulled off the aircleaner to find that the carb was on fire. So the last one wasn't a lean backfire, kinda makes me wonder if they were all rich backfires...?!

I pulled the carb off and pulled the bowls off, the correct jets were installed. I also pulled out a spark plug, black, the engine was obviously running rich. But I ran these spark plugs with the Q-Jet for 1,000 miles so I'm not sure which carb turned them black. Could this be the cause of a backfire?

I'm so lost guys.
The following users liked this post:
yodaddy53 (03-18-2023)
Old 01-13-2006, 08:49 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

What you have is lean popping. Does the MD have a power valve? I'm running the Speed Demon. It's stock power valve is a 6.5. I run a 5.5

You have to have the Acc arm linkage adjusted to dribble at the most minute movement of the throttle.

My Demon had trouble from day one and I tried drilling out the squirters to get the biggest fastest shot. But the problem was the pink plastic cam had been installed wrong from the factory. So it wasn't in the position to give the squirt at the first movement of the throttle cable.

Start your car and have it idling. looking in the carb and just move your linkage just a hair so your not causing a full squirt. You should see a wet dribble. Without the extra enriching your going to get the backfire.

Good luck it can be fixed. It's a learning curve
Old 01-13-2006, 09:21 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

what do you mean idle speed screw? that should be screws....you are making the same adjustment to both correct?

have you checked to make sure your accelerator pump is adjusted correctly ?

and where are you on the float settings?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:05 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

you know i was thinking about this .....double check all of your spark plug wires and make sure they didn't get switched somehow.....
Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
what do you mean idle speed screw? that should be screws....you are making the same adjustment to both correct?

have you checked to make sure your accelerator pump is adjusted correctly ?

and where are you on the float settings?
Idle speed screws (sorry) yes I'm adjusting them both at the same time.

I have not checked the accelerator pumps. I pulled the carb off of the car. I'm going to watch the video and adjust them tomorrow, any advice on those?

Floats are set to the middle line by the sight glass.

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
you know i was thinking about this .....double check all of your spark plug wires and make sure they didn't get switched somehow.....
Haven't touched the plug wires since I dropped the motor in, except for the one plug that I pulled.

Originally Posted by gkull
What you have is lean popping. Does the MD have a power valve? I'm running the Speed Demon. It's stock power valve is a 6.5. I run a 5.5

You have to have the Acc arm linkage adjusted to dribble at the most minute movement of the throttle.

My Demon had trouble from day one and I tried drilling out the squirters to get the biggest fastest shot. But the problem was the pink plastic cam had been installed wrong from the factory. So it wasn't in the position to give the squirt at the first movement of the throttle cable.

Start your car and have it idling. looking in the carb and just move your linkage just a hair so your not causing a full squirt. You should see a wet dribble. Without the extra enriching your going to get the backfire.

Good luck it can be fixed. It's a learning curve
Acc arm linkage? You mean the accelerator pump linkage? I'll def check that out.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:48 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

There is .025" between the primary accelerator pump arm and the throttle linkage that pushes it. So yes, the throttle does move a little bit before it pushes on the accelerator pump. Could this be the problem?

Also I noticed that at WOT the secondary pump in almost completely depressed whereas the primary pump still has a decent amount of travel. (Much more than .025") So is there a preload recommendation for these accelerator pumps?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Rusted40
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

pump lever should have at least .015-.020 additional travel
when throttle is wide open. screw and lever should also be
in contact at idle.

Old 01-14-2006, 08:20 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by torqvette
So is there a preload recommendation for these accelerator pumps?

yes there is but i don't know what is off hand.....they talk about that on the video....your floats are in a good range ....and when the car is running they stay in that range ? if so we can rule out a fuel delivery problem.

check to make sure all those spark plug wires are on nice and snug
Old 01-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Dave Witman
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I just sent my new speed demon carb back to demon for repair with the same issues that you have. The tech told me that if it backfires out carb with a large flame it is to rich. Any way I just talked to tech yesterday and they found a spring issue with the secondary float bowl float. Float was not shutting off causing a rich condition. I had brand new plugs in this engine before I started and they were carbon fouled in about an hour of troubleshooting. The tech that helped me at Demon was Eric at extention 121. Good luck
Old 01-15-2006, 01:22 PM
morganjd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a mighty demon on my 71 ls6. You need to use a vacum gauge to check your idle mixture screws. With 4 corner idle screws, mine are adjusted out only 3/4 of a turn!!! 2 turns is way rich!! If you dont have a vacum gauge, start at 1 turn and go in (Leaner)This may not be your only problem, but will result in the plugs being fouled out
Old 01-15-2006, 07:42 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Well I got the carb working ok, I think. It's not tuned perfectly yet, but it doesn't backfire or stall at low rpm. I guess it was a problem with the primary accelerator pump. But now I think I'm having distributor issues.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:10 PM
vetteaddic
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you change the plugs?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:45 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

if you don't have a properly working distributor fine tuning of the carb will be imposible.........when a distributor is shimmed and lubed it will perform great

ok give us the details....final float setting....final turns out????
what was the magical fix the accelerator pump?

Get notified of new replies

To Still backfiring Mighty Demon 750

Quick Reply: Still backfiring Mighty Demon 750