C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure line

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 04:49 PM
algleason
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure line

Hi All,
This may be one of those questions where the answer is obvious, but I must ask it anyway. Will air spaces in the oil line from the engine to the pressure gage effect the accuracy of the reading on the gage? I can see empty spaces in the clear plastic line between sections filled with oil. Must the plastic line be completley filled with oil to give an accurate reading, and if so, how do I go about purging the air from the line?
Suggestions welcome.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:59 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pressure is pressure. It won't affect the gauge accuracy. The line will fill with oil evenually.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:09 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Old 01-14-2006, 11:12 PM
1971corvette
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
Pressure is pressure. It won't affect the gauge accuracy. The line will fill with oil evenually.

the line does not fill up with oil untill you break the fitting at the gauge and bleed like a brake line.

as for the reading ???if you have air in your brake line the pedal will feel very soft ,or you will not have any brakes,so I must disagree with this quote(pressure is pressure)

Old 01-14-2006, 11:24 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1971corvette
the line does not fill up with oil untill you break the fitting at the gauge and bleed like a brake line.

as for the reading ???if you have air in your brake line the pedal will feel very soft ,or you will not have any brakes,so I must disagree with this quote(pressure is pressure)

With brake systems, your pressure is limited by the master cylinder stroke. On an engine, the oil pump will exert a constant pressure on the oil in the line, regardless of the air. You can only have a pressure drop to the gauge if there is a leak or restriction in the line.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by big_G
With brake systems, your pressure is limited by the master cylinder stroke. On an engine, the oil pump will exert a constant pressure on the oil in the line, regardless of the air. You can only have a pressure drop to the gauge if there is a leak or restriction in the line.
I have air in mine and still have 70+ pounds.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default more of an observation,

but when you shut the car down, the oil pressure bleeds off, and since the oil pressure line is not a sealed system (no one way valves to keep oil in the line) some of the oil will drain back into the block over time, even if you prime the line. Right? So, air is bound to enter the line.

BTW, I just replaced my OP line. After pulling the block, the line was so fragile that it cracked and broke off in my hand when I tried to secure it out of the way. While I was at it, I decided to have my clock fixed (clockworks) and, I cleaned all electrical contacts on the gauges, and replaced all of the bulbs in my instrument cluster.

Ready for the engine now.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:41 PM
MoneyPit
Racer

You can compress air, but not oil (at least not much). However, I think that the effect is negliable. Burgundy 69, One thing you may want to consider to keep your pressure line from becoming a radio oiler, is to put a safety line around it. Just go to the Home Depot, and get on size larger line. SLide it on, and zip tie it, or safety wire it to the fittings, over the top of the pressure line.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pressure line

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure line