C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Sucked Through Rocker Studs!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:00 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Oil Sucked Through Rocker Studs!!

I noticed oil dripping off screw-in rocker stud inside intake runner. I noticed oil around spark plugs threads and the engine always blew a puff of smoke on the dyno when I let of the throttle which created a vacuum spike. Now I know why. I will certainly use thread sealer on the studs from now on. I have never seen any recommendation to seal those threads but in hind sight, it shure does make sense! :eek

Last edited by KJL; 03-22-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:22 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

AFR (air flow research) tells you to BOTH seal AND torque rocker studs in their online install instructions for BBC, SBC & FORD.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:37 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

I guess I assumed they were threaded into a blind boss, You know what they say about the word " assume"... :o
Old 01-25-2006, 10:47 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Permatex black ( I think it's Permatex #1) is good for stuff like this.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Back in the 60's when I was learning about this stuff from an old timer, he insisted on using yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive on all rocker studs. That's all I have ever used and NEVER had a problem.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:57 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I was trying to think - I would have to look and see if my Dart Pro 1's has exposed rocker studs in the intake tracks. I always do use dry hard sealer to glue the ARP studs in place.

KJL - I noticed this about your intake gasket picture. Very uneven sealing and or gasket matching.

Attention to detail is what makes one motor better than all the others. This is the only picture that I could find of my intake gasket. I spend the time port matching the intake/gasket/heads.

This motor was together for 20K miles and two years - Bad roller and cam is why i took it appart.

But you can see how the gasket came off nice and matches the ports. I spray the intake gasket on one side with Permatex red and allow it to dry in place. I put a thin smear of grease on the intake manifold side and some Blue permatex around the water only. Great air flow and clean job. I can remove the intakes and reuse the gaskets because the grease keeps it from being a bear to remove the intake.

See PRO1 between cylinder 4-6 on the head

These are FelPro 1206 gaskets on Pro 1 heads.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:11 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm very **** when it comes to fitting intake gaskets....I also flush block/rad after intallation and add new coolant just in case I squeezed some sealant into water jackets...
Old 01-25-2006, 12:20 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Mine looked like that when I started but I think I over-torqued the intake. The grease idea sounds like the way to go!! I use Edelbrock's Gasgacinch on the head side.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Sucked Through Rocker Studs!!

Quick Reply: Oil Sucked Through Rocker Studs!!