C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hazard Switch Replacement

Old 02-07-2006, 12:04 PM
MAZ73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazard Switch Replacement

Anyone have a repair manual or link on replacing the hazard light switch on a 73?
Old 02-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There isn't a separate hazard switch (at least on a 76, and I'm pretty sure it's true for yours as well). The hazard **** attaches to the side of the turn signal switch via a stamped metal part about 5" long. I found this piece lodged down in my steering column when I was changing the turn signal switch. I pulled the wiring harness up and it fell into my lap.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The turn signal switch has the hazard warning circuit switch integrated into it. You push directly on the switch if you have a standard (non-adjustable) column.

As mentioned above, if you have a T&T column, there is a stamped lever about 5 inches long that inserts into a slot on the underside of the turn signal switch and activates the hazard circuit. The other end extends down and pivots inside the column head. The T&T hazard **** screws into a tapped hole about half way down the lever.

To replace the switch, you need to remove the steering wheel and disassemble the upper end of the steering column. Here is a link to a listing of a number of my C3 steering papers that are hosted at Terry Rudy's Corvettefaq.com websight.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4

Scroll down to either Std Columns or the T&T Columns sections depending on what type you have.

Click on the link and download Paper #1 and Paper #2 as well as Pic #1 for your column. You will find that the papers include very complete instructions on replacing the turn signal switch.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 02-08-2006, 07:40 AM
MAZ73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jim, I'll have a look and see where to go from here.

Get notified of new replies

To Hazard Switch Replacement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hazard Switch Replacement