C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massvette, GDaina, Chuck Harmon: What exhaust prior to the Hooker sidepipes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 05:55 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Massvette, GDaina, Chuck Harmon: What exhaust prior to the Hooker sidepipes?

There have been several threads on comparing the sound of the Hookers to stock and Dynomax/Flowmaster muffler systems on BB cars, but none comparing them to chambered systems. If any of you were running a chambered system, how does the sound of the Hookers compare to them. Is it louder, deeper, throatier? Did you notice an improvement in performance right away or did they not perform better until you added the spiral baffles? Could I easily remove the baffles and run straight headers/pipes at the strip? How much, including the baffles did you pay for everything? The guy that sells the baffles told me he also sells the pipes and some heat shields and said all I'd have to buy from someone else is the header portion. Did any of you get the heat shields and if so, do you have pics of what they look like?

I really like the sound of my chambered system but like the looks of the Hookers. If the spiral baffles make the difference in performance compared to the other choices, then that makes it even more tempting. As always, appreciate your time and responses!!

:cheers:
Old 08-10-2001, 06:39 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Massvette, GDaina, Chuck Harmon: What exhaust prior to the Hooker sidepipes? (Marks69BB)

If the chambered pipes sound anything like the mid year side exhaust, also chambered, then there's no comparison between the baffles. "The baffles make the mid year side pipes sound like a ragged beat up out of tune Harley."

A good friend has a 66 BB w/factory side pipes. After hearing the baffles, the above quote was his, and now he hates the sound of his 66.

Prior to the Hooker side mounts, I ran Custom side mounts. These were purchased over the counter, complete w/GM part number, and prior to that, stock factory exhaust.
Old 08-10-2001, 10:10 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Massvette, GDaina, Chuck Harmon: What exhaust prior to the Hooker sidepipes? (Marks69BB)

I had "stock" style side pipes and aluminum covers on my car when the 350 was in it. They were LOUDER than the Hooker side pipes! As for spiral baffles, listen to George Daina. They have it ALL OVER the Hooker glasspack inserts, in sound AND performance. THe Hooker side exhaust system, with spiral baffles, is probably the least restrictive, best sounding system I'm aware of.
my 2c.
Old 08-11-2001, 04:24 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark,

I absolutely agree with what the previous posts have said about the spiral baffles. Yes you can easily take out the baffles for straight pipes at the strip. The only thing that takes time is if you haven't taken them off for a while, the pipes can stick to the headers. If you keep them loose with some sort of high temp anti seize, maybe 5 minutes each side to change.

The nice thing about the spiral baffles is that you may not even need to remove them for your best times. They are supposed to scavenge (pull) the exhaust out the tube. I haven't run any 1/4 mile passes yet, but it will be very interesting when someone does have a chassis dyno reading with and w/o the baffles.

The sound is very business like. No louder than standard turbo mufflers, but you know it is something special!! I am looking forward to getting the heat shields. They should be coming soon and I will post when they come.

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To Massvette, GDaina, Chuck Harmon: What exhaust prior to the Hooker sidepipes?

Quick Reply: Massvette, GDaina, Chuck Harmon: What exhaust prior to the Hooker sidepipes?