C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70-74 Gas Tank Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Default 70-74 Gas Tank Valve

The valve used on the top of a 1970-1974 gas tank that leaks. My question is: What does this valve do? Can it be eliminated?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's main two purposes are a liquid/vapor separator and rollover fuel tank leakage protection device. It allows the fuel tank to be "vented" to the carbon canister rather than straight to the atmosphere the way older fuel tank caps did, and stops fuel from draining out of the tank if you park your Vette upside down. Evaporating gasoline is quite a pollutant. Chevrolet intentionally made the connections between the fuel tank and separator, and separator and vapor canister line two different sizes to thwart what you suggested. Of course, someone who is determined can still make it work by looping a hose up and around.....

Both Corvette Central and Zip are now carrying this part. I don't know who manufactures the piece, and how good the quality is, but they have it for $50 and $60. That price makes it worth my while to replace it, and beats the crap out of the $100 to $125 that the used parts were going for (when you could find it).

from Corvette Central (part #353162)

Steve

Quick Reply: 70-74 Gas Tank Valve