C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Air Dam Support Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 10:55 PM
82SilvergreenVett
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 Air Dam Support Bracket

The 82, (and probably the 80 and 81) has a eurthane air dam that catches air to assist in cooling the engine. This air dam was supported by a metal bracket to take the strain off the joints. BLUF = does anyone know how to fabricate or get one of these brackets? I would like to reinforce this air dam before I ruin it and other parts of the nose again. Thanks in advance.
vr/Pat
Old 02-23-2006, 11:20 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

AIM has it on page 561. If this is what your talking about it is just a strip (2 actually) that is a reinforcement on the upper surface for the air dam to attach to.
ecklers Item# 22994
Old 02-24-2006, 02:17 AM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the part that you are talking about is part of what is call the front extension. I believe it is supposed to have two pieces coming from some where behind the license plate area and extends to behind the lower front spoiler. Most of these have been damaged or removed by new Corvette owners driving over the concrete parking blocks. The front end of these cars are very hard to judge when you first park these cars. I have owned my 82 since 82 and have never seen anyone advertise this part. I believe Ecklers sells the entire front extension so you may want to call them.
Good Luck
Old 02-24-2006, 03:56 PM
adam
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while back, someone made their own and posted pictures about it.
This definitely is a hard piece to see, much less get a picture.
Mine was smushed off to the side. I broke a prybar (screwdriver tip)
trying to straighten it out. I finally cut it off with a cutting wheel so
that I could pound it back into shape for welding on...
Old 02-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Interesting post....this is exactly what I've been working on. Mine actually has the metal parts but they were crushed up into the space behind the front bumper. I've got the new air dam, spoiler, and reinforcement brackets (thanks Davies Corvette) and now I'm attempting to realign/bend the front extensions back into place, just the strange extension parts, not the whole massive assembly. It will probably be easier to make something as the existing ones are really bent up.

There are a few examples on ebay (search for front extension or front bumper) and you'll get an idea of what should be there. Would love to get a good picture of one.

Last edited by Zixxer; 02-24-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do a search for air dam bracket, lower air dam or something similar in the archives, jim martley 2 posted pics of it (or of a home made one..can't remember)
Old 02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I searched and can't find it....maybe I'm doing something wrong. I usually do a lot of searches before posting but I can't find much on the air dam or spoiler.

Get notified of new replies

To 82 Air Dam Support Bracket

Quick Reply: 82 Air Dam Support Bracket