C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idle mixture screws

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:06 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default idle mixture screws

on an edelbrock carb do you turn the screws clockwise or counterclockwise to get a lean idle mixture?

some say that you turn them clockwise to lean it out but when i first put the carb on my car, the catalytic converters were getting red hot indicating a rich mixture, so to fix this i turned the screws counterclockwise thinking it was leaning it out and that worked.

so turning them which way does what?
Old 03-15-2006, 11:14 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Clockwise (in) leans.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:21 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clockwise will lean the engine out, and also make it run, temperature wise, a little warmer.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our smog motors were supposed to run a little rich so the un-burned fuel would burn in the catalytic converter and cause it to heat up and operate more efficiently.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:35 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chris75stingray
on an edelbrock carb do you turn the screws clockwise or counterclockwise to get a lean idle mixture?

some say that you turn them clockwise to lean it out but when i first put the carb on my car, the catalytic converters were getting red hot indicating a rich mixture, so to fix this i turned the screws counterclockwise thinking it was leaning it out and that worked.

so turning them which way does what?
Try this:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/carb.html
Old 03-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Cory1970
Pro

Originally Posted by Big Fish
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought our smog motors were supposed to run a little rich so the un-burned fuel would burn in the catalytic converter and cause it to heat up and operate more efficiently.
if you want to loose power and backfire in the exhaust........

too rich is usualy not a good idea unless you are building a forced induction or nos application.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:41 PM
454_71Stingray
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kb2fzq
Great link. I love Edelbrock and Carter carbs had several, Once you get them set they are rock solid.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by Cory1970
if you want to loose power and backfire in the exhaust.........
And wasn't that the purpose of the smog pump? To add air so the un-burned fuel would burn in the catalytic converter? I agree that there will be a power loss, but I thought this was the way the smog motors left the factory. Clean emissions, the heck with power.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
bextreme1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Nice car! mine used to look something like that! Now, she's a beauty. I would just remove the cat and replace it with a straight pipe. I did it to mine. I can't remember where I got it but I think it was Corvette America. If you remove it, retune the carb to your liking and you're done.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:03 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

thanks for the info . i new i was doing something wrong. the cats are going to come off as soon as i can get it emissions exempt. then a 383 is goin in
Old 03-16-2006, 08:21 PM
bextreme1
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

I don't know where you live but I don't think there is any state, maybe CA, where a 31 year old car needs emissions testing. I'm in NY and here, I think if a car is 25 yrs. old it's automatically exempt. Every year I need just a safety inspection. Check on your states DMV site.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
mkflanagan
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Fish
smog motor?not me man!!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:59 PM
jetvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by bextreme1
I don't know where you live but I don't think there is any state, maybe CA, where a 31 year old car needs emissions testing. I'm in NY and here, I think if a car is 25 yrs. old it's automatically exempt. Every year I need just a safety inspection. Check on your states DMV site.

Just be warned, the Federal (read all states) laws clearly specify that if a car is manufactred with smog equipment it cannot LEGALLY be removed or made inoperable. Correctly stated above that most states do exempt older vehicles (Age Varies) from annual/semi-annual TESTING/INSPECTION ONLY. If caught with modified smog equipment, irregardless of age, car can be impounded and registration revoked until smog equipment is returned to original factory spec's.

Now, do a lot of owners do it anyway, SURE DO!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 03:47 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

True, here in NY...BUT!...has your converter been removed?
(...where were you when I asked this question 4 months ago)
Old 03-17-2006, 09:43 AM
bextreme1
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Yes, my converter has been removed and replaced with a thru pipe that mounts directly to the cat mounts that were there. I think you can get it from Corvette America. I had the engine rebuilt at the same time I did the exhaust and now have a 350/350HP which sounds great.

Also, I can't remember ever being stopped by the FBI to see if I had correct exhaust. States are the ones that rule emissions on the local level and if it is exempt by the state I don't think it's a problem.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:54 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Yes, my converter has been removed and replaced with a thru pipe that mounts directly to the cat mounts that were there. I think you can get it from Corvette America. I had the engine rebuilt at the same time I did the exhaust and now have a 350/350HP which sounds great.

Also, I can't remember ever being stopped by the FBI to see if I had correct exhaust. States are the ones that rule emissions on the local level and if it is exempt by the state I don't think it's a problem.
Oh, I have the test pipe...it's leaning up against the wall in the livingroom...and I've been waiting for some better weather...I've been obsessing about how to cut the old bolts...and now I see I can pull the cat shield, looks like 4 bolts...but the question is...you've had your car thru inspection with the thru pipe on, in NY, and nobody blinked...is that true?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:42 AM
bextreme1
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Yes. I've had my car thru inspection twice. In NY you would only need a Safety Inspection.i.e. lights, brakes etc.

As far as replacing the cat, you need to take everything off but leave the flanges that are used to connect the cat. The replacement part has the flanges that match the originals. All you do is bolt the new pipe to the flanges and you're done. You can cut the bolts off with a hack saw or a torch. Either way don't mess up the flanges.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To idle mixture screws

Quick Reply: idle mixture screws