C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to remove carbon deposits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:16 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Default Best way to remove carbon deposits?

I currently have my engine apart, and before putting it back together, I would like to clean it up as best I can. What works best?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:04 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use fuel injection decorbonizer also know as throttle body cleaner. It works great. Read the label carefully. Its used normally in running engines...so I'm not sure if there are any negatives when used on a disassembled engine.

Jim
Old 03-20-2006, 08:16 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
I currently have my engine apart, and before putting it back together, I would like to clean it up as best I can. What works best?
I don't know the "best way" ... but here's what I DON'T & DO.

DON'T bead blast pistons ... never!

DON'T scratch pistons any deeper than thickness of a newspaper page.

DO soak pistons in gas ... use a plastic knife to scrape ... once you get comfortable w/plastic, switch to a small penknife ... take your time ... pistons takes awhile.

IRON heads can be cleaned with a wire brush in a drilll motor ... Aluminum heads treated like pistons.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:26 AM
gonzo14
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you already have your engine apart, but when you finish it and have it back together you might want to use some preventative maintenance like SEA FOAM....Throw 1/3 of a can of this stuff down the throat of your carb while engine is running. It might bog down and shut off on its own (which is good). Wait 5 minutes, then start it again. You will then see blue to white smoke for a few moments and then it runs clear. You will soon notice a smoother, better idling engine. This needs to be done at least twice a year, before and after winter. Look at their website, seafoam.com, they have been around for over 50 years!!! It is also a better fuel stabilizer than stabil, in my opinion. Removes carbon from intake and carb.

Gonzo

Last edited by gonzo14; 03-20-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:48 AM
houstonvett
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

GM makes a product called X66 that is made just to get rid of the carbon in the combustion chamber. Can buy at any GM dealership. Comes in a liquid or spray can I use the liquid version myself. You can pour it into the carb with the motor being moderately revved higher. When almost done you actually want to stall the car with the X66 and then you wait about 20 minutes to restart the motor. You will get the crop duster effect until the carbon is burnt off the pistons and rest of the combustion chamber. You can also use it to clean up the piston tops if you have them exposed allready. Put some on a rag and apply it to the surfaces you want cleaned. Just remember that you used the product when you first start the car again if you see a lot of white smoke. Most fuel injector cleaners also use X66 in them also, houstonvett
Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

When I rebuilt the engine in my 74 I got some carb cleaner (the one used to soak a carb and its parts in) and poured it in a 3 lb. coffee can. I soaked the pistons in it one at a time and cleaned the ring lands with a toothbrush. After soaking and cleaning I sprayed them with brake cleaner. The pistons came out looking brand new and I've got 5 years on the engine with no problems.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Thanks for all the tips guys, I think I will try the carb cleaner/brake cleaner first, and see how that goes.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:49 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

as i understand it you are not taking the pistons out of the bores. I wonder if solvent will loosen the carbon and take it down into the rings?? Just a thought. It might be better to do nothing for now and just put some combustion chamber cleaner in it after its back together. I sometimes put a quart of transmission fluid in my tank. It seems like that prevents run on caused by carbon build up.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:00 PM
windsoreight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned this from the diesel guys. Cascade dish washing detergent. In powder form mix with water and let soak overnight. Works great with no damage.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:37 PM
Strats-N-Vettes
Friend Request Magnet
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 149 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by windsoreight
I learned this from the diesel guys. Cascade dish washing detergent. In powder form mix with water and let soak overnight. Works great with no damage.

Thats the old trick to de-carbonizing Onan generators when apart.

If engine is together:
When running...add tranny oil...then high rev...squirt with water from an old dish soap bottle...then tranny oil again...the go run all the carbon out of the exhaust system...because the carbon WILL come off and out.

If you have a pesky neighbor; have him "watch the exhaust for balance, its a very important job"...then rev the motor...he will be coated from head to toe.

And you will smoke your house out like its on fire...but believe me; you will decarbonize what you are working on.

But if engine is apart...Casade and water...then hose off...rinse with regular alchol to displace water...then dip in tranny oil...let drip...use assembly lube when re-assembling.....done deal.
No scraping, scratching, marring or scaring...just clean.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to remove carbon deposits?

Quick Reply: Best way to remove carbon deposits?