C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Dash Pad Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Melwill68
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C3 Dash Pad Removal

Can someone tell me if a 73 dash pad can be removed without pulling the dash? Trying to access the speakers.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2006, 11:39 PM
bmankin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is anything like a 77 you may get by with just the passenger side pad. My upper dash pad has a bracket screwed to the the firewall. You will have to take the screws out of the tops of the dash pad. Pulling the dash was the hardest thing I did in my restoration. Your model may not be anything like a 77 but Good Luck anyway.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Yes, it is like a 77.

Yes, it can be done, but I'd recommend making sure the pad is warm as it needs to flex a bit. Taking off the A-pillar trim is also advised.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:16 AM
Melwill68
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I also found some more info with a search for "dash pad". Shounds like the safe way is to let the thing sit in the sun for awhile to get some pliability.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Yes, it is like a 77.

Yes, it can be done, but I'd recommend making sure the pad is warm as it needs to flex a bit. Taking off the A-pillar trim is also advised.
once the a-pillars are out a slight flex allows it slide out.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

You will not get it off without removing th A pillar trim. Also the driverside speaker will get caught on the speedometer dash face. You will have to lift it high enough to clear it.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:04 PM
carl a
Safety Car

on my 73 theres a angle bracket from the pad to the birdcage that has to be loosened or you'll break the dash pad trying to remove, take all the screws out of the frt of the dash pad remove the map pocket the pilar post trim and i also took off the top trim (w/ the reaview mirror,,that trim but not the mirror) look up inside the map pocket at the dash for the angle bracket also some screws have to removed on the side of the guages to get the mappocket out and you'll have to open the passenger side door to get those 2 screws out,that should be it,if its the origional be careful, u v rays toasted them and there brittle,,i got tired of the old one ..repairing speaker hole ect,,bite the bullett and order one from al knoch,,,soft and plyable and that new car smell!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:05 PM
carl a
Safety Car

on my 73 theres a angle bracket from the pad to the birdcage that has to be loosened or you'll break the dash pad trying to remove, take all the screws out of the frt of the dash pad remove the map pocket the pilar post trim and i also took off the top trim (w/ the reaview mirror,,that trim but not the mirror) look up inside the map pocket at the dash for the angle bracket also some screws have to removed on the side of the guages to get the mappocket out and you'll have to open the passenger side door to get those 2 screws out,that should be it,if its the origional be careful, u v rays toasted them and there brittle,,i got tired of the old one ..repairing speaker hole ect,,bite the bullett and order one from al knoch,,,soft and plyable and that new car smell!!!JUST HAVE TO RETURN A TON OF POP BOTTLES TO PAY FOR IT!!!

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Dash Pad Removal

Quick Reply: C3 Dash Pad Removal