C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O-ring caliper pistons

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:20 PM
theoUK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default O-ring caliper pistons

When installing o-ring piston seals in brake calipers, is there a special design of piston, or can you retro-fit o-rings onto pistons that originally used the standard lip-seal design?
You can probably guess why I'm asking.. I've got my calipers apart to fix leaky seals, and although they have been s/s sleeved at some point, they are still using the old lip seals. I'm curious to know whether I can buy an o-ring seal kit to upgrade them, or if I have to stick with the lip seals.

I guess I'm after input from someone who's been through this before...

Cheers!
Theo
Old 04-03-2006, 01:46 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

pistons are different...
Old 04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
BBNJKen
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I went down this road, also.
The pistons are different.

Cheers

BB NJ Ken
Old 04-03-2006, 02:55 PM
theoUK
Pro

Cool, no problem.

I'll be ordering the lip seals then - and checking/adjusting the rotor runout a bit more carefully!

Thanks for the info guys!

Theo
Old 04-03-2006, 03:07 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The conversion kit isn't very expensive. If you have to order the parts anyway, I'd get the cenversion. Especially with the driving season being so short in the UK.

VBP sells two different conversion kits. One is $30 per caliper, the other is $40 per caliper. Both include the pistons, o-rings, and seals. The expensive one adds bolts, springs, etc.

Last edited by CGGorman; 04-03-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:15 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGorman
The conversion kit isn't very expensive. If you have to order the parts anyway, I'd get the cenversion. Especially with the driving season being so short in the UK.

VBP sells two different conversion kits. One is $30 per caliper, the other is $40 per caliper. Both include the pistons, o-rings, and seals. The expensive one adds bolts, springs, etc.
I would tend to agree. The lip seals can certainly work well, but, as you stated, runouot becomes a bigger issue. Also, the lip seals are a little more difficult to install properly. The o-rings are pretty much idiot proof.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Red Vette Racer and I think O-ring stuff is JUNK! You seem to be from the UK, I guess they might work for YOu at low speeds. I wouldn't track race a car with O-ring calipers, I'll stick with J-56 parts myself.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:51 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Red Vette Racer and I think O-ring stuff is JUNK! You seem to be from the UK, I guess they might work for YOu at low speeds. I wouldn't track race a car with O-ring calipers, I'll stick with J-56 parts myself.
Why is it junk?
Old 04-03-2006, 06:16 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

It's not junk, it's a much superior improvement, but having said that, not really necessary, the largest single improvement I made to my brakes, OTHER THAN HYDROBOOST was leaving out those damn silly stock spring from behind the pistons....

GENE
Old 04-03-2006, 06:55 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
AND SO WILL I !!
I tried the Zero tolerance O-ring pistons, I believe "Mike" the owner of ZTI is the REAL father of the o-ring piston (I don`t care who holds the patent). I inquired about heat transfer as the J-56 stuff uses a phoenelic plastic insulator, he assured me I didn`t need an insulator as I wanted to whack off the end in a lathe and mount the J-56 insulators. First off VB&P do not bore the holes for the ss sleeves on center so I had to grind the bottom of EVERY bore of my VB&P calipers. While I had a hard pedal in the garage, on the track was another story...two pumps at EVERY corner, (the o-rings do not have enough sealing surface), real race calipers have o-rings BUT they are square cut not round. My SRF (the BEST brake fluid you can buy) fluid turned black and there were aluminum flakes floating in the master cylinder.....At the track I rebuilt my calipers with my trusty J-56 stuff, mounted and bled a new master cyl, bled the calipers and off I went with NO issues all weekend. For the street maybe on the track NO WAY, at least not on my cars!!
...redvetracr

Last edited by redvetracr; 04-03-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:08 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

O-rings help if you store the car a lot. They don;t sag like lip seals do. Once the seals sag over the winter, they can take a set and cause a leak.

If you drive the car a lot and make sure the runout is very low, there is little, if any, benefit to the o-rings.

For racing, the best route is to upgrade to something designed on a CAD system.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
theoUK
Pro

Interesting stuff. All the brake calipers I've ever rebuilt on european motors have had square cut o-rings on the piston, and I did wonder how well these round o-rings actually worked. I'd assumed they were a fairly tried and tested upgrade, but that's probably what we're told by the guys who are sellin 'em!
I'm don't race the vette, but that doesn't mean I don't want decent brakes. I've always found the lip seal calipers to be pretty effective at stopping up to now.
Just out of interest, what does the J56 signify? And whereabouts is the phenolic insulator you mention? Is it actually part of the lip seal?
Old 04-04-2006, 12:10 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by theoUK
Just out of interest, what does the J56 signify? And whereabouts is the phenolic insulator you mention? Is it actually part of the lip seal?
"J-56" was an option code, the package consisted of a piston with a phonelic insulator, a hd front caliper bracket stiffener, dual pin "L" shaped front pads and some years had an adjustable proportioning valve. probably consisted of power brakes also.
...redvetracr
Old 04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Originally Posted by CGGorman

For racing, the best route is to upgrade to something designed on a CAD system.
anyone seriously racing a C-3 is doing so racing "vintage" where the original cast iron caliper is generally all that the rules allow.
...redvetracr
Old 04-04-2006, 04:57 AM
theoUK
Pro

Ah, I see now.

Cheers, I've ordered the seals now, just gotta wait for them to come across the pond.

Theo
Old 04-04-2006, 05:06 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

[QUOTE=theoUK]When installing o-ring piston seals in brake calipers, is there a special design of piston, or can you retro-fit o-rings onto pistons that originally used the standard lip-seal design?
to theoUK
I replaced the standard pistons and seals with 'o' ring seals complete with matching pistons on front end last year. Calipers were already ss sleeved. Also replaced pads with HP Plus units. Doing rear calipers and pads shortly. All bits sourced from Ecklers. Been no problem to me as yet, although I only use the car for street use.

Get notified of new replies

To O-ring caliper pistons

Quick Reply: O-ring caliper pistons