C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition wiring with Accel DFI Gen 7

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:05 PM
PolishMike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition wiring with Accel DFI Gen 7

Hey guys,

I have the Accel DFI setup on my super-ram 502. Im trying to figure out the ignition wiring so I can install my dist.
I have the mallory hyfire box with their coil and the Accel DFI Dual Sync Distributor.

I have the coil wired to the box, now I need to wire the Dist to the box. The distributor harness has two wires that are supposed to be wired to the box, an unlabled pink wire and a purple wire labled EST POINTS (do not connect to - coil). Which wires do those go to?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Sounds like a good question for Accel's tech support.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:58 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a while since I wired and I can't seen to find the wiring diagram for my dual sync distributor, probably means it didn't come with one. . Have you bought the adapter harness for the distubutor? You need this to connect the distributor to the ECM. I am running a Accel ignition box. It has 8 wire but only uses 6of them.

power
ground
coil+
coil-
tach
and then 3 signal wires, only one is used.

The one signal wire that is used is connected to the white wire on the distributor adapter harness. My ECM schematics label this as "BYPASS" The tach wire is also connected to the adapter harness I think.

Also once you follow accels directions for phasing the distributor your advance will be set at something like 30 degrees. Make sure you get a timing light on it as soon as possible. Set the timing mode to fixed in the ECM and then match the distributor to that value using a timing light. When I read the instructions this wasn't clear to me.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:16 PM
PolishMike
Racer

Originally Posted by stickboy
It's been a while since I wired and I can't seen to find the wiring diagram for my dual sync distributor, probably means it didn't come with one. . Have you bought the adapter harness for the distubutor? You need this to connect the distributor to the ECM. I am running a Accel ignition box. It has 8 wire but only uses 6of them.

power
ground
coil+
coil-
tach
and then 3 signal wires, only one is used.

The one signal wire that is used is connected to the white wire on the distributor adapter harness. My ECM schematics label this as "BYPASS" The tach wire is also connected to the adapter harness I think.

Also once you follow accels directions for phasing the distributor your advance will be set at something like 30 degrees. Make sure you get a timing light on it as soon as possible. Set the timing mode to fixed in the ECM and then match the distributor to that value using a timing light. When I read the instructions this wasn't clear to me.

Ok, cool thanks for the help - here is a paint schematic (lol) of my setup -
Old 04-14-2006, 12:18 PM
PolishMike
Racer

and i tried to call them but they are closed til monday.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:23 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went out an looked at mine. My distributor harness has 2 leads one is a blue(could be purple, pin G, EST) that seems to go to the ignition box, the other is a black wire (pin H, Cable Shield) that gets grounded, although I for some reason mine isn't . I have all of my wiring taped into harnesses so it's hard to follow them the whole way. I can't find the white wire that the instructions my Accel ignition box's diagram refers to.

Going by your diagram, I would guess that the purple wire connects to the white or orange wire. I don't know which one though, but the install instructions for your box might say, I couldn't find them on cranes site.

I have found that Accel adapter harnesses vary sometimes. The adapter harness for my knock sensor had a different style connector that the one on the DFI harness. I contacted Accel and they had me chop the connector off and hardwire them. Also I found that the Accel EMIC near me is pretty knowlegable, there should be one near you that might be more helpful than Accel's support. I'm not bashing Accel's product, just their instructions/support.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:24 AM
PolishMike
Racer

im a retard. Thought about it a bit. Heres the right drawing for anyone that might need it in the future. I hate being sick. I cant think...

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition wiring with Accel DFI Gen 7

Quick Reply: Ignition wiring with Accel DFI Gen 7