C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer gear teeth keep stripping!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 03:15 AM
rws61
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer gear teeth keep stripping!

I have a 73 coupe with a Muncie 4 speed transmission. I am currently using a 19 tooth gear. Every 50 -100 miles my speedometer quits working and sure enough the the teeth on the gear are stripped. Everything seems to move freely when the 90 degree adapter is removed the the transmission to include the new speedometer cable. Any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2006, 06:26 AM
BB68Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, this happened to me when I rebuilt my tranny and put a new tailshaft housing and speedo cable on it. I also use the 90 degree adapter. After stripping out two speedo gears I brought it to Speedometer Service in Roswell, GA near my office. It turns out the speedo cable was just a little too long which created binding, and the weakest link was the speedo gear. They shortened the cable by about 1/8" and it fixed the problem. It's been over two years with no issues. Of course to shorten the cable you need the right equipment, etc. Bring it to a specialty shop and have them check for binding, it may need to be shortened a bit.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:18 PM
rws61
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer gear teeth keep stripping!

Quick Reply: Speedometer gear teeth keep stripping!