C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tighten internal rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 09:48 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Default How to tighten internal rear view mirror

Hi all,

My rear view mirror (on windshield) is loose at the connection at the windshield (1970 coupe). The ball won't hold its position. I'm guessing there is some bracket or something that I can tighten to put more force/friction on that ball. But how do you get at it? Looks like thre is a black rubber (?) cover over it. How do you remove that? I don't want to just pull and pry and break something. I tried searching the forum, but didn't find an answer. Any help and/or pictures would be great!

thanks!
Old 06-21-2023, 11:08 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,997 Likes on 1,351 Posts

As I recall, the side header vinyl trim pieces lay over long side tabs on the rubber mirror mount cover. Loosen the header trim and the cover should just pull off. Here's the detail from my '72 AIM. (I don't remember having to deal with all those components, so maybe most are behind the ball and bracket. I think you're just working with #10, 11, 12, & 13.) It's been a few years since I was in there... I seem to recall adding some thin leather to the cup where the ball sits. Just something to take up some space and add tension.

Old 06-23-2023, 07:05 AM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

One of the pieces is made of a crappy metal (cast?), and likes to break. I forget which one. I Bubba’d mine together with some adhesive and it’s holding- for now.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:07 AM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

I have the same issue. Watching this with much interest.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:19 AM
VERYSOON
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 102 Posts

I had this problem. I solved it by replacing the Phillips head screw with a flathead screw that takes an Allen wrench! A good, old-fashioned hardware store will have them. The rubber cover just pulls right out and has remained plyable after all these years. Mine is a 69.

VS

Get notified of new replies

To How to tighten internal rear view mirror

Quick Reply: How to tighten internal rear view mirror