C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attaching braided fuel line!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Indynut
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Attaching braided fuel line!

Does anyone know the correct procedure or fittings I have to order so I can attach my 6AN Braided Fuel Line to the connection on my fuel tank. I don't know if the new braided line slips over the feed coming from the tank or do I use a rubber fuel line on the tank feed and connect that to a barbed AN fitting. Just sorta lost about whats the right thing to do and I don't want fuel leaks!

Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Go to jegs and order a compression fitting. Cut of the part that is expanded and install the compression fitting.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Indynut
Does anyone know the correct procedure or fittings I have to order so I can attach my 6AN Braided Fuel Line to the connection on my fuel tank. I don't know if the new braided line slips over the feed coming from the tank or do I use a rubber fuel line on the tank feed and connect that to a barbed AN fitting. Just sorta lost about whats the right thing to do and I don't want fuel leaks!

I just happened to have posted the same question yesterday on this forum. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1385392

I was originally planning on cutting the knuckle off of the large fuel senging line on the sending unit and installing the part linked below on the end.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...t=RUS%2D639200

However, the piece of tubing on top of the sending unit just isn't long enough to accomodate this. You have the put the fitting on, then you need to slide it back far enough to fit your 37 degree flaring tool and there isn't that much tubing there.

I'm currently stumped on this and I'm looking for suggestions/alternatives.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:27 AM
CM77
Cruising

Send a pm and I will look up the AN-fitting numbers for you. I just finished doing this to my 77.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:36 AM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this job on my 76. I used braided line with AN fittings to run up the frame rails. I used the stock rubber fuel hose from the tank fittings to a barbed nipple with an AN fitting. These were joined with a male-male union. I did the same thing at the front to attach to the fuel pump and charcoal canister. The braided lines are pretty much the same length as the original steel lines.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:18 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette Gator
I just did this job on my 76. I used braided line with AN fittings to run up the frame rails. I used the stock rubber fuel hose from the tank fittings to a barbed nipple with an AN fitting. These were joined with a male-male union. I did the same thing at the front to attach to the fuel pump and charcoal canister. The braided lines are pretty much the same length as the original steel lines.
Any ideas where I can purchase a small piece of fuel line with a nipple on it like you mention? Like an idiot, I threw away all of my old fuel line. That is exactly what I'm thinking of doing now. (I'm stationed in Germany but I don't sprechen the Deutsche so trying to find such a part for a GM car in the local economy would be just about impossible for me.)
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

I got mine from Pit Stop USA, but any of the usual catalogs should have what you need. This covered everything I needed to attach braided lines to my stock tank, except for the S-shaped hoses to the fuel pump and some regular rubber fuel to attach to the tank nipplies

1. Product ID: XRP230006
Product Name: XRP PERFORMANCE PUSH-ON STRAIGHT HOSE END -6 AN - #XRP230006
Quantity: 2
2. Product ID: XRP230004
Product Name: XRP PERFORMANCE PUSH-ON STRAIGHT HOSE END -4 AN - #XRP230004
Quantity: 4
3. Product ID: EAR981504
Product Name: EARLS ALUMINUM AN TO AN MALE UNION ADAPTER -4 - #EAR981504
4. Product ID: EAR981506
Product Name: EARLS ALUMINUM AN TO AN MALE UNION ADAPTER -6 - #EAR981506
5. Product ID: EAR300104
Product Name: EARLS STRAIGHT AUTO-FIT HOSE END -4 AN - #EAR300104
6. Product ID: EAR300106
Product Name: EARLS STRAIGHT AUTO-FIT HOSE END -6 AN - #EAR300106
Old 05-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette Gator
I got mine from Pit Stop USA, but any of the usual catalogs should have what you need. This covered everything I needed to attach braided lines to my stock tank, except for the S-shaped hoses to the fuel pump and some regular rubber fuel to attach to the tank nipplies

1. Product ID: XRP230006
Product Name: XRP PERFORMANCE PUSH-ON STRAIGHT HOSE END -6 AN - #XRP230006
2. Product ID: XRP230004
Product Name: XRP PERFORMANCE PUSH-ON STRAIGHT HOSE END -4 AN - #XRP230004
3. Product ID: EAR981504
Product Name: EARLS ALUMINUM AN TO AN MALE UNION ADAPTER -4 - #EAR981504
4. Product ID: EAR981506
Product Name: EARLS ALUMINUM AN TO AN MALE UNION ADAPTER -6 - #EAR981506
5. Product ID: EAR300104
Product Name: EARLS STRAIGHT AUTO-FIT HOSE END -4 AN - #EAR300104
6. Product ID: EAR300106
Product Name: EARLS STRAIGHT AUTO-FIT HOSE END -6 AN - #EAR300106
Wow, thanks for the effort (and help)
Old 05-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Victor
Wow, thanks for the effort (and help)
:o (actually, I just pasted the relevant section from the e-mail receipt from my order)
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor
I just happened to have posted the same question yesterday on this forum. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1385392

I was originally planning on cutting the knuckle off of the large fuel senging line on the sending unit and installing the part linked below on the end.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...t=RUS%2D639200

However, the piece of tubing on top of the sending unit just isn't long enough to accomodate this. You have the put the fitting on, then you need to slide it back far enough to fit your 37 degree flaring tool and there isn't that much tubing there.

I'm currently stumped on this and I'm looking for suggestions/alternatives.

I don't understand. The russell fitting # 639200 does not require flaring. Looks to me that you could cut the knuckle off, slide the fitting on and tighten it down, it's a compression fitting.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Older Than Dirt
I don't understand. The russell fitting # 639200 does not require flaring. Looks to me that you could cut the knuckle off, slide the fitting on and tighten it down, it's a compression fitting.
I should start all of my posts off with "I don't know what I'm talking about". In this case, it looks like you know more than me. I'll try that and see if I can get it to work.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Older Than Dirt

Sort of like this:

Old 05-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Indynut
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scooter, is that the top of your fuel tank or the bottom? Frig I'm all messed up here now. All my stuff is on the top of my tank, thats why I'm not sure what I'm looking at here! My order is in at Jegs so I hope I can my act in order while the parts are on the FedEx truck!

Indy
Old 05-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Indynut
Scooter, is that the top of your fuel tank or the bottom? Frig I'm all messed up here now. All my stuff is on the top of my tank, thats why I'm not sure what I'm looking at here! My order is in at Jegs so I hope I can my act in order while the parts are on the FedEx truck!

Indy
That's the bottom. My car is a '70 so your tank may be different. That fitting is a Russell hard tube adapter to a 90* AN -6. It's been on there for a couple of years and doesn't leak a drop of fuel. I have the same type of fitting on the fuel rail at the engine.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
It's been on there for a couple of years and doesn't leak a drop of fuel. I have the same type of fitting on the fuel rail at the engine.

That's good to hear! I have some of those fittings that I plan on using when I change over to an electric fuel pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Attaching braided fuel line!

Quick Reply: Attaching braided fuel line!