C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake or head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:18 AM
logansrun73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Intake or head gasket

My car 73 stock 350. It just started to blow a lot of white smoke at start up. After it runs a few minutes the smoke disapates. How can i tell if it is a head gasket or an intake gasket that has gone bad? The car has not overheated at all. I just hate to replace the intake gasket, get it together than still blow the white smoke. But also don,t have the room or the equipment or know how to replace the head gaskets or to pull the engine. Please Help!!!!!!!! Thanx
Old 05-17-2006, 09:10 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The very first and most foremost thing to do is a wet/dry compression check.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:18 AM
kevinator80
Drifting

If the car is still running good (no change since smoke appeared), no coolant lose and clean oil I would be inclined to say your problem may be valve stem seals. If you only get smoke after the car has sat for a period of time I would think you have oil draining past the valve seals into the combustion chamber. If the smoke does not go away after running a few minutes you may have other problems.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:05 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by logansrun73
My car 73 stock 350. It just started to blow a lot of white smoke at start up. (
White smoke usually indicates coolant burning......which usually indicates head gasket or worse a cracked cylinder wall......or could be something as simple as condensation in the exhaust.

Does this white cloud smell sweet.....does it linger = coolant
Old 05-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Highhat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went thru trying to id whether this was an issue. Compression test checked out. Then I sprayed starter fluid along the intake gasket seal while the car was running. If the idle goes up, then you have an intake gasket leak right there. In my case, it did, and it was the intake gasket. If not, then it's probably the head gasket as described below.
Originally Posted by gq82
White smoke usually indicates coolant burning......which usually indicates head gasket or worse a cracked cylinder wall......or could be something as simple as condensation in the exhaust.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:07 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Originally Posted by logansrun73
It just started to blow a lot of white smoke at start up. After it runs a few minutes the smoke disapates.
If it is a gasket then why does it dissipate and he does not mention any coolant loss.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:37 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kevinator80
If the car is still running good (no change since smoke appeared), no coolant lose and clean oil I would be inclined to say your problem may be valve stem seals. If you only get smoke after the car has sat for a period of time I would think you have oil draining past the valve seals into the combustion chamber. If the smoke does not go away after running a few minutes you may have other problems.
most likely the problem. Oil smoke is some times hard to distinguish from water smoke...both look white to me.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:55 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your either losing oil or water... Something is coming out the tail pipe. Go for a nice run, at least a 1/2 hour (short runs don't burn that much). Check in the morning and see what's low. We can advise better then...
Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 PM
logansrun73
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Ok I'll try to go for a ride than i will check my coolant. Also you ask what the exaust smell like. If there is a coolant smell does it smell like leaky antifreeze or something different.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gq82

White smoke usually is anti freeze and normally only comes from the combustion chamber. Which is a strong indication of a blown head gasket. It also makes the oil milkie
Old 05-29-2006, 12:29 PM
rossted
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get your problem solved? My 71 vette with a new 350ci crate engine started blowing white smoke from the exhaust after I had the auto tranny converted to a T5 manual. I only notice the white smoke when I let off the gas to shift and only when RPMs are around 3000.

Get notified of new replies

To Intake or head gasket

Quick Reply: Intake or head gasket