C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Power Door lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:06 PM
ethan622
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 79 Power Door lock problems

The power door locks had not worked in some time. I replaced the actuators, switches and wire harness pigtails to the switches. The drivers door lock will only lock the door and the right side switch only works if you hold the drivers switch in the lock position. Once the right side switch is working on its own it will work every time until you try the drivers switch and then the right side goes dead again, I have run new ground wires to the inner door skin and even replaced the wiring on the right side door. I also cleaned and lubed the door lock linkage. The linkage works freely. It seems to be a ground problem, but I ran a wire right from the ground wire on the right side switch to the battery and that didnt help. Any ideas?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

do you have a good schematic for the thig? If so, use an ohmmeter and start ringing out each wire and switch.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM
ethan622
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found the problem with 79 power door locks

It turns out that BOTH of the new door lock switches I purchased were bad. I replaced both and they work great now. Just proves that just because a part (s) is new, dosent make it good!

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Power Door lock problems

Quick Reply: 79 Power Door lock problems