C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Rebuild Cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 04:48 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Rebuild Cost

Just got a quote for a rebuild on my transmission that started to have a reverse problem. I have had this place recommended to me from forum members so I would not think the price would be 'hiked up'. I was just curious as to the cost of $1300 to rebuild my current TCI TH350 transmission which has about 2000 miles on it. Would I be better off getting a new transmission or having my current one rebuilt. To my understanding this TCI transmission is a pretty 'beefy' transmission but people have expressed concerns as to TCI products in general. Let me know what you think would be best as I am going to make my decission pretty soon.

Thanks Again
Old 05-31-2006, 05:58 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, well I decided to let the guy rebuild my existing transmission rather than getting a new one. The reason that my first one failed within 2000 miles was the bushings. He said the bushings failed and that chewed up the seals and then I lost pressure. He will rebuilt it with better bushings and install a transmission ground and better clutch packs. All in all I am sure I will have a better transmission than when I started....still just sucks that a new transmission fails after 2000 miles.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
SULLY_PA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It cost me $850 to have mine done....Not in colorado though...could make a difference.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:51 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I was quoted around $1200 without anything special. That's one reason that I rebuilt it myself. I thought the same thing as you. A new TCi tranny kit with cooler is on sale here for $850. My reasoning is that either my rebuild with better components will work, or it'll detonate and I'll buy a better one for less than the cost of the rebuild.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:53 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The specific transmission that I have is the TCI Chevy TH350 Competition Full Manual which lists for $1350 on their website so it might cost me a bit more to buy a new one. The rebuilt will be better than original - the TCI stock TH350 only had 1/2 inch bushings and the guy is gonna rebuild with 1 inch bushings. Also he is gonna replace the clutch-packs with more heavy-duty ones. And this way I do get a small warranty on it for a while and the peace of mind of a shop I can take it to that knows the history of the transmission. Wish I could do this all myself, but even if I could.....this guy will probably build me something better than I could.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:26 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years ago, I had my 350 rebuilt by the local GM dealership. It was in my 78 chevy 4x4. It is a lot more work to remove a trans with a cast iron t-case attached to it. They charged me $850 for a trans kit, rebuilt torque converter, and labor.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 PM
windsoreight
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pull it, in my area it runs about $350-$450 for a t350. For $1200 I would rather buy a Jasper with the 3yr 75,000 mile warranty.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Emeightch
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$550 for a performance rebuild on my T350 when I took it in. I used The Gear Box out of Garden City, MI.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:41 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Emeightch
$550 for a performance rebuild on my T350 when I took it in. I used The Gear Box out of Garden City, MI.
Did that include a rebuild of the torque converter?
Old 06-01-2006, 05:22 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

I would not buy that Jasper trash. I live about 3 miles from Jasper. I know several people who have worked there and have heard many interesting stories. If you buy a 350 engine from them, it may not even be a 350 block. They bore 305 blocks and sell them that way. That may not sound bad, but a lot of those 305s made in the 80s were low-nickel mexican blocks known for poor longevity. Parts like pistons, rockers, and pushrods come to them in 55 gallon drums. Not packaged and placed in drums, just loose parts dumped in barrels. One guy that used to work there said if you pull 2 pushrods from 1 barrel and compare them, chances are that they're not even the same length. Do you think high quality parts would be packaged this way? They are pretty much a laughing stock around here. I have heard stories about whole engines being assembled without piston rings! I find it hard to believe that their transmissions are any better. Yes, they have a warranty, but that doesn't pay for labor whenever you have to replace that junk.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Syco79
Racer

I just paid $1450 for the rebuild of my th350. Of course this was with a custom shift kit and high quality 3000 stall speed torque converter. Id rather pay a little more and know I got quality.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:18 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, the guy called me and said the car is done. Trann is rebuilt and they say they test-drove it and will let it sit overnight to inspect for leaks and pressure changes. Total was $1300 for the rebuilt of the transmission and the torque converter and the labor. I hope it sure lasts.

Last edited by MartyW; 06-01-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:30 PM
windsoreight
Racer

bondoboy I won't start an argument but you are quite wrong. I toured the plant. I am also running a stage II Jasper engine in my vette. It is easy to tell a 305 block form a 350.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Emeightch
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

MartyW,

I went backed and looked at the receipt. It was $458.50 for the performance rebuild w/shift kit and $195 for a 2400 stall. So about $650 for both but I had to disassemble and walk it in. Sounds like you got a good deal with all the labor added in. I'd make sure they're not out pulling a Ferris Beuhlers day-off with your ride!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:39 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

That's great if you're having good luck with the Jasper engine. There must be a big difference between their performance and regular replacement engines. I know for a fact that the regular engines are cheaply built. They are pretty much a joke around here just for that reason. There are some people that I know that used to work there. These people knew nothing about engines, but they were assembling them. I'm sure the performance section is different. They build the nascar engines for the Jasper team here also. Sometimes during they day you can hear the dyno runs on these engines a pretty good distance from the building. Pretty sweet sound. The race cars are painted at a small body shop just down the street.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:09 AM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Emeightch
MartyW,

I went backed and looked at the receipt. It was $458.50 for the performance rebuild w/shift kit and $195 for a 2400 stall. So about $650 for both but I had to disassemble and walk it in. Sounds like you got a good deal with all the labor added in. I'd make sure they're not out pulling a Ferris Beuhlers day-off with your ride!
I just got back from Denver after picking up the car. The transmission is pretty nice but the shift from 1st to 2nd is REAL hard. I guess thats a good thing since there is less slippage and therefore less heat but man it is hard. I am pretty happy with the rebuild so far...reverse DEFINATELY works (thats where the whole problem started) well and so do the forward gears.

As far as the 'Ferris Beuhlers Day Off' they must have all taken it out for a spin as two different people told me that the tach was out....and that was not even the person that did the rebuild. Thats ok as long as they didn't rag the engine too bad.

As for the price, this place was recommended by Lars and spefically the guy who did the rebuild so I know they did not 'hike up' the price. I made sure I told them I was recommended to them by Lars.

Last edited by MartyW; 06-03-2006 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:23 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Read this thread...the end...just paid $1336 in N.Y.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1405237
Old 06-03-2006, 01:50 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by windsoreight
If you pull it, in my area it runs about $350-$450 for a t350. For $1200 I would rather buy a Jasper with the 3yr 75,000 mile warranty.

Its darn close to the same price here in Frederick .. about 400 bucks

HOWEVER... do you kanow anyone on the Shore who knows anything
about VORTEC superchargers...?
Reason:
My brother passed away
in 2002 (lived in Princess Ann) and when I was down there last winter
his Vortec equipted 92 "sounded" a little funny to me.. Sister In Law
has not driven his 80 (its for sale she told me) or this 92 or his 99 since he died...

I do not know a thing about Vortec except that it never sounded like it did
this winter before my brother passed away....could be just no use for 3-4 years ???

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 Ragtops
76 & 79 Coupes

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Rebuild Cost

Quick Reply: Transmission Rebuild Cost