C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering box grease

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 06:37 PM
77vettejeff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering box grease

The VIP paper references GM#1051052 for the grease spec. I could not find any with that spec. Is synthetic NLGI #2 GC-LB Lithium Complex EP grease ok?
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in the boxes and it has performed very well.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
77vettejeff
Instructor

thanks GTR, so I will be ok with what I referenced above? The greasing method in the VIP paper had me drill a bolt and insert a frease fitting. How much grease is needed? How do I know when the box is full? I don't want to do any damage. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:23 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I just take out the fill bolt and 1 other for air to escape and pump slowly until its full.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:36 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Well I'll tell you what I tell my friends on what I would do on my car. If the box has never been apart then the grease is most likely dried out and caked up. I've opened up a lot of them and some are like soup others like a hard paste.

I don't like the advice of drilling into them or even the service manual procedures of removing a bolt and filling them. First, you may be over the worm nut and get a false "reading" of it being full. Then how much do you add? is the box is 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 full? When they need grease they usually need work, so that's when I go through them and set them up better then stock.

That being said, you can try the procdures but if you really want to know for sure then remove the box to your workbench and open it up. Be aware that removing the cover will change the lash setting though, which is probably out anyway.

If you have any questions, let me know, I have a couple of boxes here to do this weekend myself.

Here is a box I did with the Mobil 1. I leave room for expansion of the grease too.

Here is a box I just opened up and the grease was dried out and 25 years old. The bearings were bad and the adjustments all over the place. It was never rebuilt before.

Old 06-10-2006, 10:18 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Gary, when you get a steering box that has never been rebuilt but it is still functioning how would you clean out the old grease?

I remember meeting and talking with you at Carlisle and enjoyed your knowledge of diffs and steering boxes. I have a 37000 mile LT1 and the box has never been apart. In talks with owners all the way back to 1974, I suspect that the box may not have been serviced that well.

Gary
Old 06-10-2006, 10:41 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Gary I just disassemble the box and scoop out as much as I can then wash it good in my tank. They come out real clean.
Depending on if and how the box was adjusted will determine the condition when you get to it. I've had original boxes with 40k miles that had worn out gears and others with over 100k miles that still have good gears. Both of the boxes I'm working on now( 76,82) have good gears but the setup spec's and shims were way off,typical of a stock box.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:58 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gtr1999
Gary I just disassemble the box and scoop out as much as I can then wash it good in my tank. They come out real clean.
Depending on if and how the box was adjusted will determine the condition when you get to it. I've had original boxes with 40k miles that had worn out gears and others with over 100k miles that still have good gears. Both of the boxes I'm working on now( 76,82) have good gears but the setup spec's and shims were way off,typical of a stock box.
Well, I apologize for not being as clear as I meant to be. I am talking about not taking the box out of the car. I really don't want to get into a disassembly of a working box, especially with the summer season in full swing. What I really want to do is to figure out how to remove all or most of the old grease and then refill with fresh Mobil 1 grease, which I really like. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 06-10-2006, 12:39 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

I wouldn't attempt it with the box on the car. You could remove the cover but then it will be hard to get the lash as precise as I like with the pitman arm connected to the center link. Yes it can be done, so you'll have to decide if that's the way you want to do it? I would drive the car into the Fall then decide if you want to pull it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering box grease

Quick Reply: Steering box grease