C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley HP idle mixture adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:10 AM
Highhat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley HP idle mixture adjustment

I have a new Holley HP 950, squared 77 jets and 2 6.5 PVs.

It idles fine, but adjusting the idle mixture screws shows no change. I cant lean them out to stall the engine.

Can anyone diagnose? Suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

may be a dumb question but which way are you turning the screws?
Surley if you gently bottom the screws and the back them off 1 1/2 turns she should run....turn them in again and it will stall, backing them out will richen mix.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:46 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW!! a 950cfm carb? what size motor? that is a huge carb!
Unless you are running a huge BB motor you are probably way over carbed.
Even the VERY radical L88 motors "only" ran an 850CFM carb.
You may have to jet that carb down a lot

best way to adjust mixture is to set it with a vacuum gauge and adjust your mixture screws to achieve the highest vacuum reading.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Highhat
Pro

Yes. It runs. I started as 1 1/2 out. Turning them in didnt stall the car or make any idle change.

Originally Posted by jotto
may be a dumb question but which way are you turning the screws?
Surley if you gently bottom the screws and the back them off 1 1/2 turns she should run....turn them in again and it will stall, backing them out will richen mix.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Highhat
Yes. It runs. I started as 1 1/2 out. Turning them in didnt stall the car or make any idle change.
why would you want to stall the car out anyway?
I can turn the mixture screws in all the way on my Holley 650cfm on my '65 and it doesn't stall
Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
WOW!! a 950cfm carb? what size motor? that is a huge carb!
Unless you are running a huge BB motor you are probably way over carbed.
Even the VERY radical L88 motors "only" ran an 850CFM carb.
You may have to jet that carb down a lot

best way to adjust mixture is to set it with a vacuum gauge and adjust your mixture screws to achieve the highest vacuum reading.
Read this - they work very good on anything 383 ci and up

Bigger Is Better Part II!
The buddy of a racer saw my carburetor shop work shirt while we were watching cars launch on test day. He asked, "Hey, my buddy just got a new, bigger Holley and we can't get it jetted right. It's slower now than it was with the smaller carb. What's the deal?" As it turned out, just the reverse was true. He bought a Holley "HP 950" and took off a Holley "850."

It's understandable why he made the mistake of thinking he'd gotten a "bigger carb." After all, 950 is more than 850 right? Wrong! In this case, Holley decided to rate their new line of "HP" carbs like their competition does, with inflated CFM figures. They had to. Otherwise no one would buy them because they are more expensive. An HP 950 Holley is a 750 main body with an 850 base. That makes it an 800. You can do the math. The "950," in this case, refers to the CFM potential, not the size of the venturi and throttle blade diameter.

Do not be misled or confused by the difference between CFM and size--all custom carb companies sell their carbs by the CFM potential instead of the size because they know that it's harder to get a large sized carb to feel responsive at low rpm with wide throttle angles. You could say that the smaller is easier and bigger is stronger. The smaller sized carbs don't need as much professional help to make them work their best, but the bigger sized carbs will make more horsepower at top end when they are working at their best.

You can't expect to bolt on a carb fresh out of the box, or any race part for that matter, and it be just right. It will need on-the-car tuning to correctly work your combination. The fact is, the only Holley that's bigger than the 850 is the Dominator (the HP 1,000 is an 850 with air-horn treatment.) I explained the above to my new racer buddy and he got a refund and bought a 1050 Dominator. After I "tuned it on the car," it ran better and stronger than ever. I even made it more streetable.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

thanks gkull
I didn't know that about the new HP carbs. so his HP950 is really a 750cfm. That size is fine than.

disregard my comment on it being a "HUGE" carb. my mistake.

Hey, what do you expect? if there call it a 950 i expected it to be a 950......... d*mn marketing people
Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 AM
gkull
Team Owner

An HP 950 Holley is a 750 main body with an 850 base. That makes it an 800.

The flip side of the coin is Demon carbs. The venturie/throttle blades are bigger than their holley double pumper counter parts. So the demon 750 is really more like an 800 cfm Holley. that's why Demons can make more HP on a dyno
Old 06-15-2006, 11:54 AM
Highhat
Pro

I refer to stalling as tuning indicator. Usually (at least with my old 750) I knew I was were leaning out when the car began to studder towards stalling.

What I was getting at was that the idle mixture screws seem to make no change, even when all the way in

(I have a 388 with 215 Dart Pro ported heads. Both Dart and AFR (for the 210 heads) in fact recommended using the 950 HP.)

Originally Posted by BarryK
why would you want to stall the car out anyway?
I can turn the mixture screws in all the way on my Holley 650cfm on my '65 and it doesn't stall
Old 06-15-2006, 12:00 PM
waterplay
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gkull is correct. You will need to do some on cat test and tune. To start with it sounds like your primary blade to transition slot is not set correctly. This is causing you carb to run on the transition circuit instead of just the idle circuit. Pull the carb and turn it over. (Drain fuel first) Check to see if the primary and secondary blades are open the same amount. I find that if my secondaries are slightly opened more I have better tunability. From the underside use a small slotted screwdriver to adjust the secondaries. For a start adjust the primary side to show about 20 thousandths of the transition slot. This should get you carb back on the idle circuits and off the transition circuit. Now you should be able to use you idle mixture screws properly. (Way lean stall to way rich) See if this gets you back on the ball field.
Waterplay
Old 06-15-2006, 12:02 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Not working idle screws bugs me. Something is not right. I've been trying to find an article on the 950 HP.

My original 383 heads were the Dart pro 1 215cc - I ordered them from Dart with the optional 2.08/1.625 valves setup with springs for a solid roller. They arrived with bowl work and i had them measured. They were right around 221 cc. Nice trouble free heads
Old 06-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
To start with it sounds like your primary blade to transition slot is not set correctly. This is causing you carb to run on the transition circuit instead of just the idle circuit.
Waterman has hit it.

Brett
Old 06-15-2006, 03:57 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

That is correct the 950 HP carb is smaller than the 850 DP, and the 825 Race Demon flows more than both of them, go figure

That carb is probably running so rich the idle mixture screws do very little, probably have to decrease the size of the idle feed restrictors, they are screw in on the HP carbs, tiime to get some 6-32 blanks and do some experimenting. I went from .037" stock to .031" in my race demon and it made the idle mixture screws more responsive
Old 06-15-2006, 05:40 PM
waterplay
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Highhat

If setting the primary and secondary throttle blades properly don’t work its time to get dirty and do what Motorherd suggests. Lets hope that's not the case. That’s just a tedious PITA to do. Good luck. If it works you can buy me a beer.
Waterplay

Brettmc
Who is waterman? Is that the guy who goes out and gets the bushel of crabs for us?
Old 06-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by waterplay
Brettmc
Who is waterman? Is that the guy who goes out and gets the bushel of crabs for us?
Waterman = grown up waterboy??

Seriously, I don't know where I got waterman.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:25 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Better than watemellon
Old 06-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Highhat
Pro

Got it working better. Thanks all.

Changed and tightened all of the gaskets. Adjusted the secondary idle underneath. Able to adjust idle circuit. Runs like a champ now.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley HP idle mixture adjustment

Old 06-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Simmo
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 950 jetting

What jetting do you run on your 950. If it only has 750 venturis and two power valves the factory 78 jetting all round seems way too fat. Ive had to take lots of fuel out of mine (down to 70/74). Frustrated without a wide band, two places I tried wouldnt ship to Australia and suddenly my card isnt accepted by Summit. Arrrgh!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:03 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Get the A/F gauge shipped free ( from Jegs or Summit ) to a forum member in the states and have him ship it to you as a present
Old 06-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Highhat
Pro

Default Idle Adjustment Follow-up

Follow-up: It seems that the slot on the secondaries starts deeper in the throttle bore than the primary, thus not enabling me to get an 0.02 transition slot.

So I would presume that to make the primaries and secondaries balance, you would set the primaries at 0.02, and then set the secondaries at the equivalent throttle blade depth or opening?

Quick Reply: Holley HP idle mixture adjustment