C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI, wire connect to stock Tach

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:46 AM
rlofaro
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HEI, wire connect to stock Tach

Hi Everyone,
I have a question about the tach hook up for HEI ignition.
I have an HEI distributor in place that was installed by the previous owner. I want to connect the tach output from it to the factory tach.
I have the wire diagrams for the car, but I do not see the original wire connector to drive the tach in the harness.
So I would like to run a wire from the tach connector on the distributor to the tach. Can someone tell me what connector out of the 3 connectors on the back of the Tach, that I would need to connect this wire to?
The casing of the tach will have ground provided, and I am not sure if the 2 other connectors that are left blank when I do connect the tach wire need something else connected to them such as a ground.
This is a 1973 vette.
Thanks so much!
Richie
Old 06-19-2006, 07:55 AM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tach wiring

If this is a 1973 corvette, it came with a mechanichal tachometer and cannot be wired to the distributor. However if you are saying the tachometer has been replaced with a 1975 or later, the wiring for the terminals is shown on the printed circuit board on the tach. It is a 3 wire hook up for the 1975 tach. One terminal is ground, one is 12 volts, and one is for the lead or terminal on the Hei distributor. They are marked on the circuit board. To see this however you need to remove the tach from its housing. Simple spade terminals and three different colored wires will help you if you make you a little wiring schematic and write it down so that you can tell later which wire goes where.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:22 AM
rlofaro
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much for the info. Yes it has been replaced with a 1975 tach.
I appreciate your help.
Richie

Get notified of new replies

To HEI, wire connect to stock Tach

Quick Reply: HEI, wire connect to stock Tach