C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can too high fuel pressure damage an Edelbrock carb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 AM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Can too high fuel pressure damage an Edelbrock carb?

Hi Guys,

I have an Edelbrock 1406 carb on my rebuild 355. The car ran resonably fine with the carb right out of the box, cruised around one summer like this.
A few weeks ago I updated my old distributor to a new MSD one and decided to tune my carb as well, while I was at it...
The car ran great until yesterday evening when suddenly when I was parking the car it started to run a lot rougher then it used to. About an hour later I had a hard time getting it started and again it ran rough, not idling smoothly.
I drove home and with the car on the driveway, when I was in getting a flashlight, it just died...
I got it started again, but it rap like crap, so I limped into the garage and called it a day..., too late to start digging into it...

I have been thinking what it could be, and realised I never really adjusted my fuel-pressure to the recommended 6.5 psi in the Edelbrock manual. I think it went up to 8.5 - 9 psi at the maximum.

Could this have done any harm to the carb, or is this just flooding it, and making it hard to adjust properly?

Should I adjust my regulator to be around 6 psi at idle or at higher rpms? Is pressure going up with rpms, or just flow?

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, you're my best, and only good resource for information around here, not too many shops you can get good advice here in Belgium...

Regards, Sonny
Old 06-19-2006, 10:15 AM
palazzopl
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep mine set at 5.5 psi .. Edelbrock rep told me don't go over 6psi
Old 06-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Highhat
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt go beyond 7-7.5, unless the manual says. Once I turned the regulator the wrong way and it spewed gas out of the bowl vent --therby requiring replacement of the float needle/seal.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 PM
jdmick
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running a 1406 for a couple of years now with no regulator with a stock style fuel pump and haven't had any problems yet.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:34 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yu think a 1407 will react the same way???
Old 06-20-2006, 09:13 AM
CandyRed77
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmick
I've been running a 1406 for a couple of years now with no regulator with a stock style fuel pump and haven't had any problems yet.
My car was running fine last year as well without regulating the fuel. However a while ago I needed to replace the pump, it was leaking.
The new pump, same as old one, apparently gave a slightly higher pressure causing the carb to flood.

I noticed some gas in the base of the carb yesterday when I took of the air-filter, cleaned it a bit and set the pressure to the recommended 5.5 psi at idle.

The needle on the guage is not bouncing anymore like it used to do and the car seems to ran a lot better again.

I will need to take the carb off over the weekend to clean it properly, and maybe look at my A/F ratio again...

Thanks all for the advice.

Sonny
Old 06-20-2006, 09:21 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds to me like you have some dirt or debris that worked itself loose as a result of your tuning. The fact that it ran OK until recently bears this out. I would take the carb off and give it a good cleaning and flush out the fuel line. Also, change the fuel filter or install one if you don't have one already.

Get notified of new replies

To Can too high fuel pressure damage an Edelbrock carb?

Quick Reply: Can too high fuel pressure damage an Edelbrock carb?